Dental hygienist/dental therapist doing fillings?

So, I went to the dentist last Friday, we are very lucky to have an NHS one

The receptionist told me they only see NHS patients for routine check ups every 12 months now, so my next appointment is booked for November 2023

I needed a clean and a filling, so she booked me in with the hygienist/dental therapist who are apparently qualified to do simple treatments like fillings once the dentist has diagnosed they’re need?

And the new system because the dentists are so busy and it would take ages for an appointment, is to pass you on to them?

So, I had the filling and cleaning today, £65 on the NHS, very efficient and pleasant, all fine

But here’s the slightly sneaky part. She then recommended that I have another clean in 6 months time, as the dentists were only seeing patients once a year now but as a dental therapist she would do a dental check and if anything is wrong, refer me back to the dentist

Good idea you might think, a bit like the nurses at doctor’s surgeries taking on some of the jobs the doctors used to do?

But here’s the rub, it isn’t under the NHS, so to go back for that “check” and clean will cost me another £65. Otherwise I have to wait until November 2023 before anyone will do a routine check up on my teeth

Mmmm, what do you think, back door privatisation? What about people who can’t afford to pay for that and get their treatment free? They have to make do with once a year then?

1 Like

It is a clever way of making future patients accept treatment that the NHS don’t have to pay for. :rage:
As a diabetic I could get my toenails cut by NHS podiatrist. One told me that my feet were fine, so I explained that arthritis in my knees and wrists meant I couldn’t cut my own. They told me I would have to pay somebody to do them as, if I did them myself and caused damage to my toes, that was the only way they would continue to do them.
I now go to a private podiatrist and guess who cuts my toenails now?
The lady who has been cutting them on the NHS for years but has now had to look for another job in the private sector
I think we are heading for such a reduction in NHS care that all the services we have received over the years will disappear. The only way the NHS can cut costs is by reducing the care they give or charging for it.
Clement Attlee must be tuning in his grave to know the wonderful service he created is going to disappear! :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

2 Likes

Hear what you’re both saying @Maree & @Twink55 , but isn’t it just like a checkout person asking you if you fancy one more little thing on your way out, or a garage asking if you want to book in for a free tyre check after an oil change etc etc etc?

Think it’s more the modern trend than anything underhand.

Perhaps the private hospitals should be compelled by law to take say 15%
of their patients from the NHS ?
Sort of NHS by the back door ?? :+1::grin::grin::+1:
Same goes for dentists and podiatrists ?

Not exactly, I don’t think. Because they are taking away something you always had before - six month dental check - and then offering to give it back to you, performed by a less qualified person, as long as you pay!

Not all practices are reducing NHS checks to once a year, it’s just this one that has recently been bought by another group of dental practices. They’ve taken in the old NHS patients and I wonder if they’d like to fade them out

It’s more like if your garage has always included a tyre check and oil change in your annual service check but suddenly say it’s not included

But that they still really recommend you have one and if you pay them £65 quid, they’ll get the apprentice, not the mechanic, to do it for you!

2 Likes

Ah. OK, I misunderstood the point you were making originally.

1 Like

I misunderstood too, it’s not just our dentist, according to this article appointments are getting cut down for everyone and it may soon be you only get an NHS appointment check every two years!

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone have a 6mth dental checkup. I always do.

2 Likes

Nope. I avoid dentists as much as possible. Haven’t been for well over 5 years, and even then was because my wife insisted as “he” was lovely and very good. Indeed he was, but I’m not really into handing out £100+ just to meet someone who can count out teeth and advise me what toothpaste to use.

2 Likes

Tut that’s men for you !

1 Like

No fillings, nothing major ever needed. Had a small veneer on one tooth a few years back after a drill recoiled into my mouth.

It it ain’t broke,…

1 Like

I was pointing out that some NHS services are already being withdrawn, like the podiatry service that is supposed to help diabetics from losing limbs, on the event of any foot infections.
We have to accept that the NHS will not be the same as we have known it, and after all we all paid towards the service!

2 Likes

It seems most NHS dentists will stop doing them six monthly soon and it will be a year :frowning:

So, I did a bit of digging about dental therapists. They train for 27 months, not 5 years like a dentist but they can do fillings screen for oral cancer, treat periodontal disease, refer patients to other healthcare providers when required, take x-rays etc

But they can’t do crowns, bridges, dentures or root canal work

And they can only do the work after a real dentist has looked at your teeth and prescribed the treatment