Dental Hygenist

At last got to see the hygenist after over a year thanks to them cancelling my last two appointments.
And guess what the price has gone up to a whopping £75 for 30 minutes .
So complained to the receptionist who rudely said I was moaning and took me to see the manager .
Of course I was man king a justifiable complain not ‘moaning ‘
This is a NHS dentist but hygenists are always private .
The dentist is suposed to give you scale and polish but he never does ever because it’s not clinically necessary ( course it’s not thats why you go to a hygienist )
Really £75 that’s extortionate .
So we are £150 poorer today :frowning:

Our dentist always give a full scale and polish after every inspection, but then he is provided under our Denplan scheme.

1 Like

I was just looking to see if we would be better under a plan .
I don’t know they all seem so expensive .
You can’t get on to a NHS dentist for love nor money here .
We have been with this a while before we went private .
But touch wood my teeth are ok I only am ever in the dentist for about five minutes max I just go to a hygenist.

My dentist doesn’t scale and polish they send us to hygienist and it’s gone up to £50 from £40 at my last visit. Its extortionate but I suppose it needs to be done. If I could find a dentist who does routine scale and polish I’d change but it’s so hard to get a dentist these days.

The Dental Practice I use only offers private services now, unless you qualify for treatment under NHS.

I pay £12 per month, which gives me a dental check up and a hygienist appointment for scale & polish etc every 6 months.
Any dental treatment needed, such as fillings or crowns, is charged separately but you get a discounted price.

I used to think that £144 a year was quite expensive for 2 check ups and 2 hygienist sessions - but I carry on using that dentist because he’s the best one I ever had.
If 2 sessions with the hygienist cost you £150, maybe my dental fees aren’t as bad as I thought! ?

My dentist does everything (its a small practice of two dentists), and my S&P last month was £42

I wouldn’t want NHS dentistry. Our Denplan pair (Iranian) trained in Sweden with minimal invasive treatments and they are the most gentle dentists we have encountered :sparkling_heart::ok_hand: I am so into Swedes as I married one​:sun_with_face::+1:

For anything really serious we go to our former private dentist but he’s 70 miles away .
He’s lovely a brilliant dentist and you never feel a thing . He’s Iranian too .

1 Like

Yes, l get that with my dentist too.
She persuaded me to go to the Hygienist at a cost of £70 who did exactly the same as my dentist does within my check up for twenty something.

I say, Rip Off and jobs for the boys. I am not going to the Hygienist again!

1 Like

Rubbish!
My teeth have always been done under NHS dentistry and my teeth are really good.

My dentist, where we’ve had excellent dental care over the years, is a private practice and has been for years. I happened to go there today on an emergency appointment and it cost me £22.50 including a tenner for antibiotics, so no complaints from me…

Yes, my dental practice is now a private concern (BUPA), though I am still treated under NHS provision, presumably because I am diabetic.

My last Hygienist a couple of months ago charged me £65.
Used to be £60.
No doubt by the time I ago again it will be £70!

Bloomin’ rip off. image

I have never heard of a dental hygienist before but I think it is done by the dentist here anyway, every six months or so I go for a check up which includes a scale and clean by the dentist.

The charge is usually about $150 (£75) but depends, if they do an Xray it costs a bit more (or maybe the Xray was included I can’t remember). Any further work costs of course I think the most I have ever been charged was $300 at a single visit for a difficult extraction.

Dentists are not covered by Medicare so if you don’t have insurance you pay the full cost.

I requested a clean and polish which my dentist has always done, she told me I must now go to hygienist. I had an appointment so he told me no water was being used due to covid so scraped and scratched then asked for £75. He said come back in 3 months , this time I had a spray water thingy and 15 mins later handed over £85 , told to return in 3 months for teeth sandblasting ! appointment was made for £100 I cancelled .

Thinking about I I really only needed the 2nd appointment and didn’t need the costly first one .

My dentist doesn’t do PTC himself but refers me to a hygenist working in the same practice. I have two appointments a year each lasting about an hour and costing £77. It’s a five-stage treatment. For one session a year I get £34 allowance. I wouldn’t want to do without the treatment.

I haven’t seen a hygienist for more than 6 years, yet my dentist is very impressed with how clean my teeth are.
I told her I use Teepes daily, before I clean my teeth, and she said that was an excellent way to keep your mouth clean. You can buy Teepes, or something similar for about £3 a pack & they last a week, so cost about £36 for 3 months.
Once your teeth have been scaled , if you use them daily they prevent the plaque damage , so help keep your gums & teeth healthy.
Give them a try! I think Wisdom & other companies sell them cheaper, but I find Teepes are the best because you can rinse them & use them twice, if you want to. They also come with different colour handles which relate to the size of the brush. I use blue or yellow but you need to find which fit the width between your teeth best!

1 Like

I’ve got those little brushes but my dentist still refers me to the hygienist…just another way of making money I think

2 Likes

What are Teepes @Twink55 , I googled it but it just brought up wigwams.? :thinking:

1 Like

The days are long gone when your dentist did a scale and polish as a routine at the end of your session. i used to love it when they scraped,applied the pink cream and then polished it off, your teeth felt lovely and clean. It took just a couple of minutes.

Then they discovered they could make more money by charging you extra for this. I asked about this and was told the dentist will still do a scale and polish but only if absolutely necessary.

I think last time I enquired about seeing hygienist it was about £75.