December date for Owen Paterson replacement by-election

The by-election caused by the resignation of Tory MP Owen Paterson will take place on 16 December.

The contest for the North Shropshire seat follows findings that Mr Paterson, a former cabinet minister, broke Parliamentary rules on lobbying.

He had held the constituency, which has long been a Conservative stronghold, since 1997.

Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party are among those who will put up candidates in the by-election.

Labour came second in North Shropshire at the last general election, in 2019, with the Liberal Democrats third. Mr Paterson took 62.7% of the vote.

Presumably, the Tories will hold but it’s good practice for the other parties … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I doubt if we can presume anything in today’s almost volatile political stage. Opinions change and quickly too if the situation drifts far from an election manifesto. My opinions have started to change and now can fluctuate almost on a daily basis. I am becoming one of those floating voters hated by all political parties.

2 Likes

It’ll take some swing for Labour to gain the seat:

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2019-12-12/results/Location/Constituency/North%20Shropshire

2 Likes

Yeah, but a lot has happened since then and with this arse of a PM at the top, anything could be possible.

@LongDriver , Yeah! But the Tories stick together tighter than shyte to
an army blanket !!
But who knows ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

People don’t usually change their mind or admit they were wrong. It would take a big swing for Labour to get it

1 Like

@Maree , Ain’t that wot l jes sez Maree ?? :thinking::thinking:
Donkeyman!

1 Like

I wonder when Claudia Webbe is going to stand down/be kicked out so that a by-election can be called?