Debating kids toys

They were talking on telly earlier about whether it was outdated now, to give your daughter/grandaughter a doll these days?
I must admit I can’t remember when I last saw a little girl with a doll, but then I have no small children in the family.

So is it not ‘politically correct’ anymore, to give a little girl a dolly, and a boy a train set?

Would you give your grandson a doll, and your grandaughter the train set?

I would give a granddaughter a trainset, but I don’t think I would give a grandson a doll, unless it was an action man, but if he particularly wanted a doll I wouldn’t ridicule him.

1 Like

There are 2 dolls in the toy box here, can’t remember where they came from, whether they were mine or belonged to my kids.
When I was breastfeeding my second child son1 (3½) used to shove baby doll up his jumper copying me! :rofl:

1 Like

I sent a box of baby clothes down to the new granddaughter, and was informed that they were lovely, but next time, could I make sure they weren’t all pink :frowning_face:

I know its not toy related (apologies) but its the same gender related theme. I think children should have any toy they feel ok playing with, to be honest…having a boy and girl quite close in age, my two often changed toys over, regardless. (not often with good results, mind you, but still…)

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of this subject had they not been discussing it on telly.
But when you think about it, a lot of clothes seem unisex nowadays, as do hair cuts, and so on, so maybe toys should be too?

I must admit to be old fashioned though, and would probably still buy ‘a girly’ toy for a girl, because I wasn’t bought up in a modern world - although I’d perhaps get told off by some. :grinning:

Yes I can see that happening, Pixie. If they swap toys about it’s harmless, and up to them, but would you actually BUY a little boy a pretty doll?

2 Likes

If he specifically asked me for one then yes I would.

But I wouldn’t just randomly buy one for him as a gift, I admit that. I would feel more comfortable getting him something more boyish.

Girl, if she wanted it, would get a vintage Sindy doll, boy, if he wanted one would get a vintage Action Man, both would be told to look after them as in years to come they would be more valuable.
I would hide all cutting implements, specially scissors, they would be told not to cut the dolls hair. :grinning:
I think on second thoughts I’d keep both toys myself & give them i phones instead. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think you’d have to go on with what you know about the child in question

I had an older brother and used to hang out with him and his friends a lot and I liked boy’s toys, trains set, scaletrix, football and one of my best Christmas presents ever was a Hotwheels set. I wasn’t big on dolls

I remember my son really loved the Disney Little Mermaid film when he was a tot. I bought him an Ariel doll and everyone had a go at me but he loved it :rofl:

1 Like

I used to have those tiny plastic cowboy & Indian sets as a kid, and I made myself a little cowboy wagon from loo roll :joy: I didn’t have dolls as a kid, only soft toys, and they all had boys names too. I’m glad it happened then and not now, or there would be lots of questions as to which pronouns I preferred :roll_eyes:

Neither of our great nieces (7 and 3) are into dolls. They much prefer playing with other things. I’m sure the youngest will be a trucker when she grows up 'cos she’s car and truck mad.

1 Like

Weren’t “Ken” dolls intended for boys? And what are, say, Star Wars figurines if they are not dolls?

They have just renamed them.

1 Like

GI Joe used to be very popular with boys .

My son used to love his Stretch Armstrong. :smiley:

1 Like

My children were only 14 months apart, and like Pixie’s children, they swapped toys frequently - and clothes for that matter (though I don’t think my son ever wore his sister’s dresses :wink:). My granddaughter loves dolls and has lots of them - several Barbies, a big 18" Sindy, and now a relaunched traditional Sindy doll. She also has two Baby Annabels. Well, one Annabel and one Alexander, the boy version. They sleep in her room in little bunk beds that Mr B made for their mother when she was tiny. She also has a twin buggy for them, and still likes to take them out in it now and then.

But she also has lots of toy cars, a big fold up road, complete with road signs, roundabouts and flyover. And she had, when little a sit on big yellow digger, which she could operate with levers to raise and lower the scoop/bucket whatever it’s called. Complete with a hard hat and hi vis jacket. She loved it!

My grandsons have always had what you might call traditional boys toys, and have never shown any interest in dolls, not even action men.

My favourite toys as a child We’re a cowboy on a horse and and Indian on one too .

Changed to Action Man here, but the original GI Joe’s go for silly prices.

Do you remember the make of them?

When I was a toddler I had a golliwog…

I had a golly too I loved my golly I also had a black doll who was called black dolly .