I’m curious about how you prefer to categorise doctors such as the chap on the telly, Doctor Ranj? He is very British having been born here. But of course he is not white. One of us or not?
Please, there is no us and them unless you want to create such a divide.
I didn’t mention skin colour Lincs, that was you…
I was referring to the foreign workers that Anise said kept the NHS afloat and from falling on it’s backside…
I asked the question why the NHS isn’t staffed by local workers like it used to be.
You used the term ‘our own people’ and I didn’t understand who you meant by that. It seemed very likely to me that you might have seen, for example, a west indian nurse and thought they were not one of our people. Or a bangladeshi porter in a hospital and thought the same. Even though there’s a good chance both were born in the UK. So I was seeking clarification. What I think, given your clarification, is that you meant British citizens of any colour, creed or recentness. Jolly good.
Given that then, how do you propose that the different NHS trusts go about staffing their hospitals if you want to prevent them accessing suitably qualified people who are not British citizens? In the face of staff shortages of course.
I don’t really care how the NHS staff their hospitals, I just wondered why we have to import foreign staff to keep the NHS working. Why don’t you see many local people working as nurses or ancilliary staff. The medical profession just doesn’t seem attractive to young people anymore.
It does seem true that the long hours, unsocialable work times, poor pay, stressful work environment and risks of verbal or even physical assault does appear, for some reason, to put off young people in the UK. Its a mystery, isn’t it?
So perhaps foreign workers are more likely to accept all those situations Lincs.
I hope that the NHS would, in future, avoid employing ‘medical professionals’ like Lucy Letby, and Dr Ian Patterson, both of whom were ‘our own’.
I remember when nurses were nice middle class girls, Florence Nightingale would approve, doing their bit for England, something worthwhile before settling down.
You’d love ‘The Royal’…
There is a flip side to that, if there hadn’t been the availability of cheaper imported labour, domestic nurses might have been on say 80k a year now because of supply problems and now, with a long list of folks waiting for a vacant position!
Angels was a pretty decent TV series as I remember
I’ve just checked out the prices of the DVDS on Amazon… not good for the blood pressure!
Don’t watch medical dramas, is bad to see a distressed patient in pain whilst the staff are plotting extramarital affairs ![]()
They don’t believe in keyhole surgery, they make a cut two foot long, get both hands in, rearrange some organs whilst plotting extramarital affairs.
Is the bar open yet
What’s ya poison?
It is an interesting thought … but imagine the hike in taxes to pay for all that.
Those nurses are probably earning 80k now working as bank supply nurses and the NHS is picking up the tab…
What price, peace of mind?

