De-extincting mammoths

Thank you, LongDogs.

That is the exact painting I was trying to download. Thrilling !

How could any person with any soul object to seeing a real-life herd of such magnificent creatures ?

Horny !

Easily if meant an animal is not brought back purely for commercial reasons to be kept in captivity etc.

No point in saying we would do this and that because we can’t protect species now.

If Man deems himself above Nature and thereby becomes the controller of who and what lives then by the same token he becomes teh controller of who and what dies. You can not have one without the other.

Therefore if Man decides to give life to that which Nature has already removed from the playing filed, then Man too will remove life from the playing field which Nature has not.

That is a dangerous game indeed.

Lovely picture. All that ivory, Dongles, the poachers would think all their birthdays had come at once!:smiley:

Would that necessarily follow ?
I suspect that the vast majority of human-kind these days are hell-bent on conserving species.

Given the thousands of creatures which have disappeared over the last century or two (yes, thousands),
I reckon there would be a reluctance to even attempt to wipe-out flies and mosquitoes and such -
an understanding now that all things have a role.
Or a possible/potential role.

Oh. please. Give me a freakin’ break. We have been deciding what lives, and what dies for tens of thousands of years. We stand at the apex of the animal kingdom.

All true dogs are the creation of mankind. The Chihuahua wouldn’t last 2 weeks in nature. Man created every breed of dog on the planet. The same applies to all of our domestic animals and most of our agricultural products.

To bring back some creature that has gone extinct is a wonderful gift to all mankind. We should be proud.

Spooky! :wink:

That gets my vote :lol:

I agree Bakerman !

I don’t really understand why they want to do this though? Evolution has happened. Mind you saying that, when Lions and the big cats go extinct I’d love to think they could bring them back.

Ipso facto
Had you been around in the last days of the Mammoth no doubt you would have said the same

No thanks. Bring mammoths back to do what? Put in a zoos? Raise them to turn into expensive rugs? Even better, how about we bring them back Lazarus style so we can turn around and kill them in zillion dollar canned trophy hunting to conduct in the name of “conservation”? Or, how about we use the tissue and blood of every single one for life-threatening disease research?

No thanks! We are spoiled children who don’t deserve the creatures that we already have - looking at every single one like a meal, a way to make a dollar, or a way to improve our own sorry species. Bringing mammoths back would be akin to putting a teenager behind the wheel of Buggati.

Our species has waaaaaaay to much time and money on its hands.

How very 19th century …the Luddites are alive and well :lol:

This isn’t about crushing science or technology, it’s about a little higher thinking than putting sauce on a Mammoth steak. :wink:

Are there no benefits at all to mankind and the mammoth (who gets a second bite at the cherry) from this research?

And therein lies the problem.

Man was to a degree responsible for the extinction of the Mammoth why not give it a second chance? When the last elephant falls would the research gained by ‘resurrecting’ the mammoth be of no use?

Well said. :023:

Although they were hunted by man, I believe the current evidence suggests that the most likely cause of extinction was due to loss of habitat with the end of the ice age…

Good question. It would be, IMHO, if the purpose was to benefit the creature and not us. But then again, what other species would be harmed, as a result? It’s exhausting to navigate through the ethics of it all.

Of interest, there are many models that report that an estimated 99% of all species (about 5 billion) that ever existed on Earth are extinct.