David Beckham 'portrays himself as the victim' in Netflix series, Rebecca Loos says

Titled ‘Beckham’, the NetFlix four-part series released on October 4 follows David Beckham’s rise to global football stardom and his marriage to Victoria Beckham. It covers the allegations that Beckham had a four-month affair with Rececca Loos in 2003, without mentioning Loos by name. Victoria Beckham describes the allegations as the “hardest period” of their marriage. Beckham said the news reports were “horrible” and left him “feeling sick every day”.

In response, Loos, now 46, told the Mail on Sunday that Beckham “needs to take responsibility”. “He can say whatever he likes of course and I understand he has an image to preserve, but he is portraying himself as the victim and he’s making me look like a liar, like I’ve made up these stories,” Loos, who lives in Norway as a yoga instructor and medical assistant, explained. “He is indirectly suggesting that I’m the one who has made Victoria suffer.”

Beckham and Loos had worked together after the midfielder signed for Real Madrid in July 2003 when Loos spoke to media outlets claiming the pair had an affair.

Beckham said at the time: "During the past few months I have become accustomed to reading more and more ludicrous stories about my private life. What appeared this morning is just one further example. “The simple truth is that I am very happily married. I have a wonderful wife and two very special kids. There is nothing any third party can do to change these facts.”

Loos told the Mail on Sunday: “It took me a long time to decide whether to speak about this today… if I remain silent I will be known as the liar, the one who made up the stories. I also have a family and I also have children and they also have Google and they can also watch documentaries. I want them to know that their mother was brave enough to stand up against them and to stand up for the truth.”

Another NetFlix alleged “documentary” which, seemingly, is a highly-edited “promo” for a famous married couple … :roll_eyes:

The success of “Harry & Meghan” seems to have encouraged an imitation genre on NetfFlix … :moneybag:

1 Like

How curious. I’m not seeing how it’s “brave” to make sure your children know for sure that their mother had an affair while she was married with another married man.

If she’s saying he abused her, that’s another story.

David Beckham was married to Victoria at the time, Rebecca Loos was single. David and Victoria denied that the “affair” (although true) happened thus making Rebecca seem like a liar, a slut and a gold-digger. That story suited the newspapers because the Beckhams were a “golden” couple and Rebecca was a nobody. NetFlix seemed to have persisted with the Beckham’s version and resurrected the disparagement of Rebecca … unsurprisingly, since she’s not a public figure and now lives in obscurity, Rebecca been offended at the uncalled-for distortion of the truth on a world-wide platform and decided to publicly deny the Beckhams untruthful version.

2 Likes

Thanks for the background. I don’t follow the Beckhams.

1 Like

It was a long time ago, too … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did she say he could bend it?

1 Like

That’s a vague statement if I’ve ever seen one.

she? he? it?

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve watched all 4 episodes, the affair as such was never mentioned.
David alluded to it by saying he was lonely.
There was a lot made of his loneliness, however he never acknowledged having an affair.
While Victoria said it was the worst time of her life.

1 Like

Wasn’t it Rebecca Loos herself who first brought media attention to the alleged affair?
When she talks about Beckham should take responsibility for what happened, then shouldn’t she be taking responsibility too? When it comes to having an affair, it takes two to tango.

When Loos talks of being “brave” enough to stand up against what the Beckhams have said, she conveniently forgets to mention that she was the one who sold her “Kiss and Tell” Story to the News of the World that started all the gossip off - and she was probably well paid for it.
If it wasn’t for the story she gave to the press in the first place, the Beckhams wouldn’t be mentioning the fall-out from it now, 20 years later!

It’s not “brave” to have sex with someone you are working with when you know they are married - and it’s definitely not “brave” to cash in on their “fame” by selling your “kiss and tell” story to the media.
She must have known there would be a high level of media interest in such a story and it would cause a lot of damage to the Beckhams. That doesn’t sound like “bravery” to me - more like an act of betrayal just to make some money - or the revenge of a woman scorned, maybe?

4 Likes

AFAIK, no-one cares about the affair now (except Victoria) - it’s all so long ago … but who’s lying?

The Beckhams and their publicity machine have airbrushed the “tango” - apparently, a four-month “non-event” almost destroyed their marriage but David Beckham, AKA “Goldenballs”, was not a saint and other affairs were similarly “hushed-up”:

Model Sarah Marbeck and Celina Laurie both claimed they’d slept with the footballer in 2001 and 2002, respectively. Beckham came out to refute Marbeck’s claims and did not speak publicly on Laurie’s.

Patently, the Beckhams have re-written history to suit their very successful agenda (make millions of dollars from publicity, sponsors and advertising) … and that suits NetFlix who, too, have an agenda - make millions of dollars from streaming one-sided stories from the “hottest” couples in Hollywood … :man_shrugging:

The David Beckham “documentary” was produced by Beckham’s own company, Studio 99.

“Harry & Meghan” was produced by their own company, Archewell Productions.

It was very candid …
I think 4 episodes was a bit much.
Imo how the Beckhams chose to interpret their life is entirely up to them.
This Loos women comes over as very bitter .
She should keep her mouth shut when it comes to her children .
I bet money crossed hands for this latest outburst

2 Likes

And everything else by the sound of it :icon_wink:

2 Likes

Will the whitewashed Beckhams bio blow up in their faces:

“Posh has been rocked by Rebecca’s cryptic posts and is petrified she’s gearing-up to unleash more bombshells that could potentially destroy not only her marriage, but Brand Beckham,” said a source to Closer magazine.

“Posh thought that finally speaking out would put an end to the chapter once and for all, not prompt Rebecca to retaliate, which has understandably filled her with anxiety over not only what else she could say, but having to re-live the worst chapter of her life,” they added.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to have a look at the Netflix series to decide for myself whether it was “whitewashed”” or not.
I have watched the first two episodes so far and do not think there is any grounds so far for suggesting it was whitewashed - so far, there has been plenty of news clips and media headlines going into a frenzy of criticism whenever young Beckham made a mistake - and both David and Victoria have acknowledged the youthful mistakes they have made.

Back in the 1990s when all this media frenzy was going on about this talented young footballer and his “pop star” girlfriend, I was too busy to take any notice of celebrity gossip so I’m hearing about most of it now for the first time.
I must admit, I wouldn’t have watched this Netflix series if it wasn’t for this thread, so thanks for publicising it. :+1: I am enjoying watching the series.

1 Like

Just glad my youthful mistakes may also be vindicated :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m just glad my youthful mistakes were never splashed across the headlines of the national newspapers! :wink:

Even if there were a few ackers in the back pocket? :laughing:

Thanks for your review. I was also considering watching it. I noticed it in my Netflix feed (probably because I’m watching the Lewis Capaldi documentary all the time) but I don’t know anything about the Beckhams. Based on your review, I’m also considering watching it. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

As an avid believer, you will, no doubt, be delighted to learn that the sequel to the Beckhams combined presentation will be one dedicated to Victoria alone … :wink:

Janet and I will remain sceptical:

Janet Street-Porter has slammed the Beckham docuseries as ‘tightly controlled’, after insisting that she has no interest in watching the popular docuseries.

The 76-year-old shared her scathing criticism of the Netflix show on today’s episode of Loose Women during a discussion on Rebecca Loos’ recent response to the documentary. After Ruth Langsford and Brenda Edwards revealed that they’d enjoyed the series, Janet offered her unapologetic reasons for not tuning into the series.

“I love watching documentaries about brilliant sportsmen, and women,” Janet said, prompting Ruth, 63, to jump in and clarify, “Oh they do cover that, hugely.” “Yeah,” Janet concedes, “But what I’m not interested in is a PR manicured portrait of their marriage and their relationship, (1) which, at the end of the day, the press only give us one view of the Beckhams – but the Beckhams only give us what they want us to see.” The English broadcaster, who has previously criticized Victoria and David Beckham for hosting their daughter Harper’s birthday party at Buckingham Palace as ‘nauseating’, (2) went on to accuse the VIP couple of using the Netflix series to boost their public image and their fortune (3).

Despite Beckham’s filmmakers insisting that no topic was off-limits when interviewing Posh and Becks, it’s worth noting that the documentary was made by Beckham’s own production company (4).

(1) no-one come more manicured than the Beckhams … :roll_eyes:

(2) I didn’t know about that but I, too, would have found that super-tacky … :grimacing:

(3) Well, the Beckhams can tick that box … :smirk:

(4) Studio 99:

and networks.

Current commissions include projects for Netflix, Disney+ and the BBC. Studio 99’s creative agency delivers a full service offer to clients from creative and brand strategy through to campaign execution. It also creates content for David Beckham’s social media platforms of over 150m followers globally.

It ain’t about the truth, it’s all about the brand.

Retail and entertainment conglomerate Authentic Brands Group announced Thursday it has entered into a partnership to co-own and oversee David Beckham’s global brand.

Authentic Brands declined to disclose financial terms of the deal. A person familiar with the transaction said the company paid about $269 million for a 55% stake in the soccer star’s DB Ventures.

As part of the deal, Beckham will become a shareholder in Authentic Brands, which owns retailers such as Forever 21 and Barneys New York, and the rights to iconic stars including Elvis Presley and Shaquille O’Neal, who is also a major investor.

The transaction will allow Authentic Brands to open its European headquarters in Beckham’s existing London offices, the company said.

Authentic Studios is based in Beverly Hills, where Authentic recently expanded its presence with a new 15,000 square foot West Coast headquarters.

Authentic Studios was created in the wake of the company’s expansion of its Entertainment division, which includes “icons, living legends and media brands” such as Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Muhammad Ali, Shaquille O’Neal, David Beckham and Sports Illustrated. Its portfolio of more than 40 global superbrands also includes Reebok, Juicy Couture, Ted Baker, Brooks Brothers, Forever 21 and more.

“Authentic Studios is unique in its ability to leverage Authentic’s in-house roster of brands and a deep catalog of IP to develop and produce content in all forms with 360-rights control,” said Colin Smeeton, President of Authentic Studios. “Each of our four labels features a style of storytelling resulting in compelling content for all traditional and streaming mediums.”

I don’t think we’re talking about objectivity here … :thinking: