Daughter in law's father had covid jabs but still hospitalised

We were a bit shocked today when our daughter in law Paula told us her dad was taken to hospital with covid last night and is on oxygen.

He’s had both his jabs. I thought they protected us from getting it bad…

Totally confused here…

1 Like

Hi Carol, sorry to hear that. The effectiveness of the vaccine and its impact on Covid-19 is not consistent.
He’s receiving proper care now and that’s what matters most. :hug:

I suspect there is still a lot we dont know about all this.
Do your DIL and family have to isolate now?

Poor man. I do hope he starts feeling stronger real soon, Carol.

Paula & the family aren’t having to isolate because they haven’t seen him in over a week.

I was feeling safe & smug after I’d had both jabs - not so now though!!

Any idea which jabs he had Carol?

That’s very unlucky Carol. I hope he’s ok. Chances are that he will suffer a less severe form of illness than he would otherwise have had.

I’ve read the pfizer jabs give protection for 6 months. Not sure about the others. But they are all going to be less effective in those with compromised immune systems. Which is why it’s so important for younger people to be vaccinated and to keep wearing masks until we know more about variants and have some boosters. I think they were planning boosters for September time.

Sorry to hear that, Carol, and wish him a speedy recovery!

I’m sorry to hear that a member of your family’s circle has fallen victim to the COVID scourge … :frowning:

Best Wishes for their recovery.

That’s what I thought too, perhaps there is more to the story? Keep us informed if you find out more.

Sorry to learn of this news Carol. How very disappointing.

Aww Carol, that’s a bit of a shock, I’m so sorry. The vaccinations are supposed to lessen the impact if you get it, so hopefully he will be back on his feet very soon!

I’m so sorry to hear this Carol, what a shock it must have been! Yes, I think we’ve all thought the double jabs would protect us from hospitalisation, but then again the reports are all something like ‘you will have 78% protection etc…’ which I guess means that 78% of people will only have a mild response to the infection, while the other 22% are likely to be more severe. Sadly, your daughter-in-law’s dad must have fallen in the ‘other 22%’ bracket.

I do hope he will get through this safely, what a worrying time for you all.

Hi Carol

Really sorry to hear this, what a shock. I hope because he has had both jabs that he doesn’t need oxygen for long and that he doesn’t require a ventilator.
Worrying time for your family, will keep you all in my prayers.

Please keep us informed.

Just goes to show we cannot let our guard down.

He’s still in quite a bad way - having problems with his breathing.

The vaccine he had was Astra Zenica.

He suffers from diabetes.

The doctors have told him that if he hadn’t had the jabs he’d be dead now!!

Blunt speaking eh? :shock:

A bit unnecessary at the moment to tell him that. Doctor could have at least waited until he was better, gosh! :shock:

Blunt but honest.
It’s never pleasant seeing one of your own suffer though.

No vaccine is 100% effective and we’re told that IIRC the AstraZeneca is over 90% effective after two doses - which means, of course, that some people will still be made ill by the virus.
Not many, but some.
Be grateful it wasn’t the Pfizer vaccine because by all accounts that one is proving not to be as effective, according to the Israelis and others.

Carol, that must have been a shock, like you, most of us will be thinking after we’re vaccinated, that we’ll be pretty safe, it just proves how little we still know about this virus…hopefully he 'll make a quick recovery…

Hi.
I’m pleased to say he’s much better now & can go home tomorrow. I think his diabetes had something to do with him being hospitalised.

Can’t but help wondering if the jabs actually saved his life after all!!

good news Carol…