Dairy cows munch on reject chocolate and lollies that would have gone to landfill

James Mann runs more than 4,000 head of cattle at Wye, south-east of Mount Gambier - South Australia
Rather than feeding his cows sugar for energy, as some dairy farmers do, he is feeding them the rejects from Mondelez’s confectionery factories in Melbourne.
He says the cows like it, and they do not seem to have a preference for any particular type of chocolate or lollies.
“Whatever Cadbury is making and don’t quite make the grade, our cows are pretty happy to see it — blocks of chocolate, snakes, Cherry Ripes, nougat, honeycomb — anything that Cadbury makes the cows get to have a chew on it,” he says.
The chocolate and lollies are mixed with the cattle’s other feed. They also eat grass.
He says cows need sugar and oil in their diet, and chocolate has both.
“It’s all around maximising cows’ performance,” Mr Mann says.
The milk does not taste significantly different and is mixed with milk from hundreds of other dairy farms when it is processed.
In a twist, though, the milk from Mr Mann’s farm actually does go into cartons of Farmers Union and Pura flavoured milks made at Bega’s factory in Adelaide.

That’s quite a revelation.

I wouldn’t feed Cadbury’s to my worst enemy

1 Like

The sheep in the field who live next door to me love apples any old apple will do…but Peaches the shetland pony is very picky…she likes Pink Lady apples…I’ve never tried them on Chocolate

3 Likes

when the milk starts comin out brown you’ve made it big - start labelling it in cartons with ya own name!!

1 Like

No, no, no…round the corner, Chocolates made. :grinning:

Blimey :anguished: :astonished:

So will we end up going around with LARGE hypodermics full of INSULIN and stabbing every 2nd cow as half maybe end up Diabetic ??? :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: :confounded: :disappointed: ???

I have no intention of coming back as a cow anymore in my next life.
Once upon a time all seemed SO PEACEFUL Cows always looked so relaxed & contented. But in the future? Will we see them behaving like many of our teenagers… and here kites come to mind … :thinking: :thinking: :roll_eyes:

And YES perchance you’re wondering cows CAN become diabetic.

I think it’s disgusting.Cows shouldn’t be eating that crap.It won’t do their teeth much good either.

2 Likes