Cryptic Films

Thanks Dex. That occurred to me as we were out our walk. The low flying aircraft one threw me - I don’t remember having seen too many of those around here. “Tractors on road” and I’d have got it right away!

:smiley: and roundabout!

Gosford Park

You’ve got it Dex :023:

Go s[ford]park.

An enjoyable film whose cast list is a bit like a roll call of British acting talent.

Well done and over to you…

Thanks. Next one

Overdue contraceptive.

Not a description I’ve heard in many years Dex but could it be:

Johnny come lately?

Well done Amac. Jimmy Cagney film, albeit not with great reviews.

Thanks Dex. Apparently the phrase was used long before the film was made.

Next:

Turns crazy in the middle of a discussion.

Chocolat?

You’re getting too good at this PR!

Over to you again…

Thanks Amac. Next: Harry’s in jeopardy!?

Nothing to do with Harry Markle! A very well regarded film nominated for 3 Oscars, but missed out.

The Harry you’re looking for wasn’t British.

The Truman Show?

Yes Amac. (Harry) Truman in. (Jeopardy) the show.

Your clue reminded me of the Goon show episode where Neddie Seagoon (Harry Secombe) is told his job may be in Jeopardy and his reply is “But I don’t want to go abroad”. Didn’t help me at all with the clue…

Next to follow.

Next:

Can cut country in, though beyond the pale.

This might prove a tricky clue. The film, based on a classic book, was made in the mid 20th century although a television remake appeared almost 50 years later. The earlier film starred an actor who received 3 best supporting actor nominations at the Oscars, winning with the third.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

No sorry Devo, not that one. This film was made a few years after the end of WW2. Unfortunately the career of the cast member who had 3 Oscar nominations was terminated early because of alcoholism.

Another of the male stars of this film appeared in a famous Bogart film with the name of a car…