Crewless container ships appear on the horizon

First self driving cars. Now self driving ships.

2 Likes

Hi

The inevitable rise of AI and remote control.

Life is going to be very different for a lot of people in the not too distant future.

2 Likes

Apparently, trans-oceanic voyages are not yet planned:

Owned by fertiliser giant Yara, the Yara Birkeland has been sailing twice weekly for last several months from the firm’s enormous plant near Porsgrunn to the port of Brevik, carrying up to 100 containers and collecting data along the 13km (8 miles) route.

“Vessels which operate along short, regular and fixed routes offer good opportunities to introduce autonomous ship technologies,” says Sinikka Hartonen, Secretary General of One Sea Association, an alliance of maritime companies and experts working in autonomy.

The project’s technology provider, Kongsberg is working on another two battery-powered autonomous barges in the Oslo Fjord, with Norwegian grocery wholesaler Asko, and a fourth, small container ship, near Ålesund.

The day will come, though … :thinking:

1 Like

I find that abit scary ,they use to be called Ghost Ships when crew mysteriously disappeared, where will it all end .

3 Likes

I wonder if they have lifeboats?

1 Like

Little tiny lifeboats for the computer chips on board perhaps?

2 Likes

I was just think how creepy is that. Imagine being on one! I wonder if they’ll attract stowaways or squatters?

It would be a good place to isolate yourself from a zombie plague :man_zombie::man_zombie::laughing:

I’m SO pleased that I sold our Lady Emma. I can imaging getting mowed down by an auto super freighter or tanker.

Chips of the old block perhaps :wink: