Covid infections jump by half a million in UK, says ONS

An estimated 2.3 million people or one in 30 has the virus - a rise of 32% on the week before.

The rise is being driven by two new fast-spreading sub-variants of Omicron - called BA.4 and BA.5.

People can be infected even if they’ve had Covid before, but jabs are helping to protect against serious illness.

I shouldn’t have gone maskless yesterday but no-one else was wearing one - I checked before I entered a “busy” area … :frowning_face:

I guess that it was to be expected with holiday “mixing” now rampant … :man_shrugging:

Have you had your 4th jab as some extra protection?

AFAIK, I’m not yet eligible.

That’s a bugger! Although that said, my 4th was a horrid Modena and wow did that lay me low for 3 days and then still left me rough for the rest of that week.

1 Like

I have to enter self-isolation next Wednesday because I have my operation the following Tuesday.

Addtitional info;

What exactly are BA.4 and BA.5?

Ever since it first emerged, Covid has been mutating or shape-shifting. The new genetic versions that keep appearing are called variants.

There have been a few major variants already, such as alpha and delta, that have caused massive waves of infection.

The latest ones experts are concerned about - BA.4 and BA.5 - are very closely related to the Omicron variant behind last winter’s wave.

They were added to the World Health Organization’s monitoring list in March and have also been designated as variants of concern in Europe.

Where are they spreading?

They were spotted circulating in South Africa at the beginning of the year and now appear to be spreading much more quickly than other variants.

Most European countries now have them and they look set to overtake other types of Covid soon. That’s already happened in Portugal - BA.5 is now dominant there.

“They” were saying on BBC News this morning that these 2 were so closely related to Omicron, it wasn’t worth the powers-that-be giving them a name of their own.

1 Like

That seems like a good idea … after all, 'flu is 'flu … :slightly_smiling_face:

I still do hands face space …

1 Like

Since we no longer have to self isolate and no longer have to do tests, it’s not surprising. however, it is now so mild that it’s no big deal.

I’ve just had a negative result, as has hubby and son and daughter and her boyfriend.We all had the 3 jabs (mainly so we could holiday abroad) but son never had any jabs at all.

The rule will apply at all of Cornwall’s hospitals, minor injury units and treatment centres from Monday, 4 July, health bosses said.

Two new sub-variants were blamed for the rise in cases locally and nationally, while services were already “under sustained pressure”.

The measure will remain under review.

The Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust (RCHT) said there had been steady increases in the number of healthcare staff testing positive for Covid-19, adding to additional strain on resources.

Kim O’Keeffe, dual chief nurse for the trust and for Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (CFT) said: “Recently, we’ve seen a rise in cases again and it’s crucial we use the tools at our disposal to help protect not only our patients, but visitors and our colleagues too.”

"Making mask wearing a requirement once again for staff is a decision we’ve taken at a time when we were already under sustained system pressure.

She asked that people “be kind to staff, who’ve been working incredibly hard to protect patients throughout the pandemic.”

CFT and RCHT’s current policy on visiting arrangements remains unchanged.

Staff, patients, and visitors are still asked to continue to wash hands frequently with soap and water and use the alcohol gel provided, in addition to wearing facemasks.

Presumably, other trusts will follow,

Same here. Much smaller injection but it had unpleasant after effects on both us for a couple of days.

1 Like

May have been the injection you had this time Todger, but maybe it’s also because of the number of different vaccines people have had pumped into them now, too?

Don’t forget it’s not just the Covid ones, but some folks are having the Pneumonia, Shingles and Flu ones as well.
We’ve never had so many vaccines in such a short time before, and I think it’s reasonable to wonder how many foreign bodies our immune systems can take, without it affecting us.

1 Like

my 4th jap was

back in may this year

I went shopping today the supermarket was packed , I always anti back hands and basket and will continue to wear a mask , I saw 1 other person wearing a mask . I got out of there quick .

I don’t want a 4th injection and am ignoring texts from the doctors .

People thinks its gone

And it ain’t even Winter yet. :smiley:

Well at least in Winter there won’t be the “super spreader” events, like there have been recently :thinking:

But folks will be huddled into cosy rooms!!

Our local hospital trust hasn’t stopped asking people to wear masks and hand sanitise since it came into force.

1 Like

Good thinking … my masks are out again, regardless of local conditions … :+1:

1 Like