Covid in Scotland: People urged to cancel Christmas parties

Dr Nick Phin, its director of Public Health Science, said postponing plans would help to “protect ourselves”.

The first minister said earlier this week that she expected Omicron cases to rise rapidly in Scotland.

One case of the new variant was recorded on Thursday, taking the total to 109, according to the latest figures - although the actual number of cases is believed to be much higher.

Scotland had 16 coronavirus deaths and 3,196 new cases in the past 24 hours.

Comment - Jamie McIvor

The question is whether many of the people planning big parties will listen to the advice. During lockdown, police broke up a number of parties being held in contravention of the rules.

Today, the number of people in Scotland who have had booster jabs passed the two million milestone. However, more than a fifth of people aged between 18 and 30 remain completely unvaccinated.

Will younger people planning a Christmas night out who have not listened to the advice on vaccination listen to advice to call off a party?

in a word … No … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not while the pubs and hospitality are fighting tooth & nail to stay afloat. Its difficult to prevent parties when these places are open, and welcoming customers.

See Pub = Party.

1 Like

Do as they say

NOT

as they do

1 Like

I wonder if it wasn’t for the risk of a backlash after their own crapulous shindigs that it would be enforced rather than just suggested… there are murmurs of a Plan C coming in in the January due to Omicron’s rapid spread.

I think that’s funny. As you know, V and I were in Birmingham on Thursday for the markets and a Rick Wakeman gig. The markets were CRAMMED with people. We had an early dinner at an Italian restaurant we’ve used before - it was CRAMMED with people even at 6pm (we’d booked a table for 5:30). Walking to the Town Hall for the gig and back to our hotel, we passed many pubs - all CRAMMED to the rafters. Birmingham New Street railway station was also crammed with people although our train back wasn’t.