Covid after effects

I hope you get well soon.
Here in Victoria;

The state has recorded 823 new COVID-19 cases, down from last week’s total of 3,425.

There are 158 people in hospital with the virus, seven of those in intensive care.

There were seven new deaths recorded.

It certainly is still around.

2 Likes

I did OGF one red line, then another little bug…r I was stunned . I’d been lucky up till now . I’m on my own, and strangely enough, you get used to coping and don’t have expectations anymore . No cups of tea unless I make it myself . Thanks for asking

1 Like

Just as a matter of interest did they give you anti virals?

Apparently early intervention with anti virals is the preferred treatment for Covid in older people here. They bring them to your door.

(I have no first hand experience of this - it was a talk at my seniors club)

2 Likes

I’m so sorry this dreadful virus has affected you so badly…as you know my daughter had a terrible reaction to Covid a couple of years ago and ended up in ICU with Pneumonia and blood clots on her lungs…

I’m happy to report she is now much better Covid is not a virus to be ignored ring the doc if you need help…we are all of the opinion Kate battled on for too long thinking she would be OK before asking for help…dont feel you are being a nuisance…ring for help if you need it.

3 Likes

Good advice from Bruce and Summer.
Keep us updated on the forum Susan so we know you are alright…
:hugs:

1 Like

Summer I remember your daughter being very poorly hope she is well and strong now . Poor girl

Bruce , we don’t get given anti viral drugs here, I’ve never heard of them, they just tell us to take paracetamol.

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts , I’m better now , just feel as though I need new battery’s to give me energy . My sense of smell slowly coming back and I’ve got a taste for Walkers plain crisps , guess I’m craving the salt . I’ve been lucky compared to some unfortunate people .

Take care everyone it is still around, I was so careful too , hand washing often . It’s not nice . I’m now wondering whether to have the 3rd jab

1 Like

They are only for people over 70, indigenous or at risk people over 50 and need to be taken early

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/treatments/eligibility

1 Like

I’m thinking about these anti viral tablets and thought I’d ask if they do help if you get the virus , and if so how . I don’t think we can get them here or does anyone have the answer .

We’ve been told the jab only lasts a certain amount of time so I guess that’s what they offer here .

Have you had the tablets Bruce ?

No, I have never had covid but I do know people who have, that is how I know they get delivered to their door straight from the chemist.

1 Like

Today’s news had a call for more anti virals to be used.

1 Like

Here in UK we are offered the flu jab , I had it 4 years running and each time I was very unwell for about 10 days, completely wiped off my feet , terrible sore throat , thick head cold and very poorly so I don’t have it now . I have had 2 covid jabs and wasn’t affected by them apart from a sore arm .

I don’t know about anti viral meds though as never been offered .

I wonder why viruses are becoming more virulent and nasty . When I was young we never had a ‘flu’ season as its known , we got head colds , but never each year in a particular season .

Susan, hope you feel better soon. Hugs.

1 Like

My daughter still cannot smell anything after having Covid, not particularly badly, two years ago.

1 Like

Awful isn’t it Helen…my hubby also lost his sense of smell after covid

2 Likes

Yes, silver linings and all that, could spell the end for the “Silent but Deadly” :laughing:

I have lost my sense of smell and am hoping I get it back , its now quite poor and of course affects my taste buds . I’m still hand washing and in busy places wearing a mask . I am hearing many are catching covid again so just be aware everyone , its a nasty virus . Take care

2 Likes

Yes, a lot of folks are blissfully ignorant.

I didn’t realise that the loss of smell continued after the other symptoms disappeared.

Yes just this week I’ve heard of new cases, I wonder if people have got blasé about it and have stopped the rigorous hand washing.

I also know of people attending hospital on a regular basis more than two years after having covid. A couple have auto immune disease from it which affects the liver,other organs and causes skin problems and of course terrible lethargy. Several have been unable to return to work and probably never will, these are people in their 40s and 50s, not the elderly.