COVID-19 - UK: ONS Reports - 31 January 2023 - 1m Positive

There has been a 14% rise in people testing positive in the week to 20 September - the biggest increase since the summer.

More recent data showing a rise in hospital admissions with Covid has been called “a wake-up call”.

Dr Thomas Waite, deputy chief medical officer for England, told BBC News that a number of new sub-variants of Omicron were circulating at low levels, and could be behind the hospital figures.

Health experts have warned of a flu and Covid “twindemic” this winter, urging those who qualify to get their free jabs now.

Although Covid is increasing in England and Wales, the trend is uncertain in Scotland and Northern Ireland, the ONS says.

In the UK as a whole, it is the first time estimated Covid infections have risen above one million since the end of August 2022.

Graphic showing UK Covid infections rising by 14% in one week|2048x1440.3600900225056

The tests found that about one in 60 people had Covid in the UK in the week to 20 September, up from one in 70 the week before.

But there were noticeable differences in trends in the four nations of the UK.

The ONS says Covid is infecting:

• one in 65 people in England (up from one in 70)
  • one in 50 people in Wales (up from one in 75)
  • one in 80 in Northern Ireland (the same as the week before)
  • one in 45 in Scotland (up from one in 55)

Data is for the week ending 17 September 2022 for England, and the week ending 20 September 2022 for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

O-oh … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I was planning to wear my mask again this winter anyway when I go into the shops.

2 Likes

Me too, and I think more people will as the weather turns colder.

2 Likes

Some hospitals are already requesting masks be worn again.

1 Like

I’ve continued to wear a mask in enclosed area’s and public transport.

2 Likes

I think I’ll be getting the masks out again if the trend continues …

2 Likes

Gloucestershire, too:

:frowning_face:

Flu and Covid as a pair, Isn’t it being termed a twindemic.

@spitfire Nah, it’s become ENDEMIC now, nuffink to worry about ??

Main points

The following points are for the week ending 24 September 2022 for England and Scotland, and the week ending 26 September 2022 for Wales and Northern Ireland.

• The percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) continued to increase in England, increased in Northern Ireland, and the trends were uncertain in Wales and Scotland.
  • In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 1,105,400 (95% credible interval: 1,041,500 to 1,170,200), equating to 2.03% of the population, or around 1 in 50 people.
  • In Wales, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 63,400 (95% credible interval: 49,200 to 78,900), equating to 2.09% of the population, or around 1 in 50 people.
  • In Northern Ireland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 46,100 (95% credible interval: 34,700 to 59,100), equating to 2.51% of the population, or around 1 in 40 people.
  • In Scotland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 113,000 (95% credible interval: 92,100 to 135,700), equating to 2.15% of the population, or around 1 in 45 people.

I will mask up, just as a precaution, can’t have that much time left, don’t want to go out because of something recent. :rofl:

@spitfire , Time is relative apparently ??

Yes, you just have to work out which relative holds the knowledge.

Experts from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) warn of a “notable rise” in older people in England and Wales.

They say vaccines are the best defence against the virus and urge people aged 50 and over and others eligible for booster jabs to get them.

There are fears of a flu and Covid “twindemic” this winter.

Across the UK Covid is infecting:

• one in 35 people in England (up from one in 50 the previous week)
  • one in 40 people in Wales (up from one in 50)
  • one in 40 in Northern Ireland (the same as before)
  • one in 50 in Scotland (down from one in 45)

The number of people in hospital with Covid has also been rising in the last few weeks.

As of 12 October, figures show there were 10,608 patients in hospital who had a positive coronavirus test. That was up 10% on the week before but still far below the levels at the beginning of the pandemic.

Around two-thirds of patients in hospital who test positive for Covid are being treated primarily for other things. But they may need to be isolated from other patients, putting extra demand on hospitals.

It ain’t over … :mask:

Just wait till the Flu makes the cocktail complete.

Covid-19 infections in the UK have continued to rise, the latest weekly figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggest.

About 2 million people are thought to have had Covid in the latest week, a rise of about 15% from previous figures.

The data also suggest about 3.1% of the population (roughly one-in-30 people) were infected at this time, up from roughly one-in-35 the week before.

Covid infections continued to increase in England and Wales, while the trend remains uncertain in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

@Omah , " covid cases rise to ,2,000,000"
So what, it’s only covid ?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Persistent, though, isn’t it - in the UK, it will kill another 500 people next week.

So far, in the UK, 205,000 deaths have been directly attributable to COVID.

@Omah , Your figures are for more than two years though !
So divide by two !!
I like the odds :+1::grin::+1:

100,000 per year (average)

OTOH

Road deaths and serious injuries in the UK, in 2021.

1,608 people were killed (1,558 in Britain, 60 in Northern Ireland). 26,701 were seriously injured (25,892 in Britain, 809 in Northern Ireland).