COVID-19: Two-thirds with Omicron in England say they have had Covid before

The findings come from a large, continuing study, React, swab-testing thousands of volunteers in England. More work is needed to know how many are true reinfections - but the results reveal the groups that appear to be more likely to catch Covid again. They include healthcare workers and households with children or lots of members under one roof.

More than two million people have been tested in the study.

The latest findings, for the first two weeks of 2022 - round 17 - are based on about 100,000 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests posted to volunteers and then returned. About 4,000 were positive, by far the highest rate seen since the pandemic began. And when a selection of them were sequenced to check what type of Covid was to blame, virtually all were Omicron - the highly infectious variant, first identified in South Africa, causing a big winter wave of infections in the UK.

It is not yet clear how many of the volunteers who tested positive had been fully vaccinated. Two shots offer little protection against catching Omicron, although protection against severe disease wanes less. But booster doses have been rolled out at speed since Omicron hit, to top up people’s protection.

Two out of every three (65%) of the infected volunteers said they had already previously tested positive for Covid. Many of these could have been reinfected. Although, in some instances, the latest PCR tests might be picking up old traces of virus.

Obviously, the study will continue to monitor and publish its’ findings so that figure is subject to change but it’s more than I would have guessed … :worried:

These results would confirm the findings of other studies stating that an acquired immunity wanes after some time, too.

Everyone will be unvaccinated by April if 4th jabs are not used as recommended by the JCVI.

The vaccines do not give immunity anyway. I can’t believe how many times I’ve said this it must be over a hundred.

How are the COVID case figures today compared to this time last week Omah ? You’ve gone very quiet over this lately.

I have just this morning checked the Covid cases confirmed for the last 7 days for my postcode. Last time I looked, about 2 months ago, it was just tipping over the 500 mark. Today its 1023 confirmed new cases in the last 7 days. What on earth is Blundering Boris playing at telling us its safe to abandon all Covid restrictions.

deaths and hospitalisations would say otherwise.

What is your postcode by the way - I’ll check the figures in your area.

Where is Chris Whitty and Patrick Valance these days ?