Covid-19: Omicron sub variants driving new wave of infections in UK

There is currently a new wave of Covid infections going on under our noses. A work colleague and three friends are quite badly ill from it. The three friends are triple vaccinated. The work colleague, I’m not sure of vaccination status, but she ended up in hospital.

Be careful out there, it’s not just a seasonal illness.

But, the folks are happy again, and the economy is ticking along to boot

1 Like

For the most part, the dead, bereaved, hospitalised and sick folk aren’t particularly happy, nor the folk who can’t afford food or gas and electricity any more :frowning:

Covid is coming back and the immunity from our vaccines is waning, ignoring it and hoping we don’t notice is the flavour of the month with all the political parties

So yes, I don’t think we should get blasé about the danger we’re in and should take whatever measures we can to protect ourselves :ambulance::woman_health_worker::mask:

4 Likes

Covid never went away.

5 Likes

I don’t think it will ever go away…it will just evolve and regroup to come at us again. :frowning_face: :mask:

2 Likes

It`s the new flu,i said it from the start,

1 Like

I was never convinced for a moment that we had overcome Covid. Even though, like most, I had my vaccinations. I have continued to wear my mask when ever I leave my home, and I also continue to maintain my distance…

2 Likes

Its harder to comply with everything when people around you think everything is back to normal. For example, I have to take the dogs to the vets this morning for a check up, and they only have sanitiser rules now. Closer contact and masks aren’t a big deal. Then later I’m meeting people for coffee - which won’t be outside due to the rain, so it’s making me anxious…it’s a fine balancing act though if you want to get back to life. You can just do your best to mask up and sanitise as best you can. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

When did you last hear of a Flu epidemic in July? Flu is seasonal, this crap is perennial.

5 Likes

might even be apocalyptic!

1 Like

@spitfire , So what ??
Its the deaths that count !
Anybody got the stats on the new variants yet. ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning::frowning:

1 Like

@Omah is the best person to ask for that :+1:

1 Like

There are no “Stats”, no one is keeping count!

1 Like

AFAIK, the ONS publish on Fridays … but I’ll check … :nerd_face:

The latest figures are as already posted:

The increases are likely to be caused by increases in infections compatible with Omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5.

1 Like

But it’s not just the deaths though, it’s the load that is put on the NHS in terms of seriously ill people who go on to recover combined with the added precautions that from line workers in the NHS must take.

But you don’t recover, you just go on to get infected again, that could be the bout that does for you.

The stats are no longer viable as much of the population stopped testing once the tests became chargeable.

1 Like

I still have tests left over from before they started costing money, and use them every few days (depending on circumstances, of course). I think once I run out, I’ll be testing less…if I’m honest. I think they cost just under a tenner up here for 5 tests and I’d rather spend that on food.

2 Likes

Recover from the bout that hospitalised the person.

@AnnieS, surely no test is required if you are dead ??
And thats what matters !
If everybody has it but nobody dies what does it matter ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking::thinking: