COVID-19 - Omicron: 247,000 confirmed cases of the variant now reported across the UK

Wear your mask !

Professor Tim Spector (of Imperial College and the ZOE app) says Omicron numbers are doubling every day and numbers may well be 1-2 thousand already .
Not all the PCR tests we use in the UK can detect Omicron so it will be difficult to calculate numbers of cases accurately. It is thought it will be the dominant strain within weeks.
Hopefully the variant will be mild or we will be in big trouble.

The best thing we can all do to help ourselves is to keep our Vitamin D3 levels up and observe hygiene measures

2 Likes

Sorry Omah, it was the ‘Coronary Advisor’ and Bread has posted the exact article (thanks Bread :+1:) that I was trying to post but I was only getting ‘Page not found’…Probably a senior moment…
:flushed:

Thanks, but since the site appears to require Register/Login I’ll be giving it a miss.

Covid deaths in the UK are falling.

A sister variant of Omicron has been identified in ONE person in Australia. Something else to panic about - not!

The latest data from the UK Health Security Agency shows 115 of the cases were in England, nine in Scotland, and four in Wales, while Northern Ireland has also reported its first three cases of the new variant.

1 Like

Nicola Sturgeon is encouraging Scots to work from home too, and Retailers are not happy, given its coming up to Christmas…although it isn’t mandatory as far as I know.

1 Like

BJ’s already prevaricating, so I guess he’ll procrastinate next … unless he’s learned from last year … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

On 8th December last year we had 616 deaths. 2,999 for the week from 2nd dec 2020.

Today we have 161 deaths, 747 for the equivalent week from 2nd Dec 2021. Bit of a difference?

Your requirement for deaths to establish the severity of a pandemic may yet come to fruition … but it won’t necessarily be the COVID-sick - it may well be all those non-COVID-sick whose treatment is delayed or deferred because of a lack of staff or facilities (due to COVID) to treat them.

My “death wish”?

Any virus, especially a new one is not to be “Sneezed at”

Your requirement for deaths to establish the severity of a pandemic.

That in no way correlates to me having a death wish. Please retract your comment.

OK … I’ve replaced it.

It’s winter, this sh$t always happens in winter…And working from home?
How am I going to get a 500Hp lathe in my living room…
:017:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Wednesday that the variant’s doubling rate could be between two to three days - highlighting just how infectious the new strain is.

Has anyone actually used the figures to estimate the exponential growth rate?

I’ve been double vaccinated (I’m still within my 6 month efficacy window) and tested positive for COVID yesterday. I’m actually quite happy about it because instead of a booster I’ll use my body’s natural immunity. I also cannot get a 3rd AZ shot, only an mRNA vaccine from Pfizer or Moderna, which I don’t want because of the rapid rise in myocarditis and pericarditis cases. Funny how things turn out.

Ho hum, I feel OK (ish) though, but it just shows, vaccines and claims of immunity are complete bollocks and so are vaccine passports because you can still catch and transmit the virus even with x number of jabs.

As for Omicron, its symptoms are very mild and as Putin called it, we should regard it as an “airborne natural vaccine” :lol: Not often I agree with him.

Anyway, happy Friday all, I’m off for a PCR test and then home for some scrambled eggs on toast.

1 Like