Covid-19 : New variant detected in South Africa

Following genomic sequencing, the variant - B.1.1.529 - was detected in 22 positive cases in the country.

2 Likes

I read this last night and thought of you. Stay safe :astonished:

3 Likes
1 Like

I think itā€™s out of Africa now isnā€™t it?

As with the Delta theyā€™ll be monitoring it for vaccine resistance.

2 Likes

Stay safe Minx. :mask: :mask:

2 Likes

? stay safe everyone

2 Likes

ā€œThis means that individuals should get vaccinated, wear masks, practice healthy hand hygiene, maintain social distancing, and gather in well-ventilated spaces. Individual compliance to preventative measures can have a great collective impact in limiting the spread of the new variant.ā€

Good luck with that !

1 Like

Travellers arriving in England from several southern African countries will have to quarantine amid warnings over a new coronavirus variant.

UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid said from 12:00 GMT on Friday six countries would be added to the red list, with flights being temporarily banned.

One expert described the variant, known as B.1.1.529, as ā€œthe worst one weā€™ve seen so farā€, and there is concern it has the potential to evade immunity.

No cases have been confirmed in the UK.

Only 59 confirmed cases have been identified in South Africa, Hong Kong and Botswana so far.

All flights from South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini are being suspended.

The flight ban will remain in place until the hotel quarantine system is up and running.

Comment - James Gallagher

It is the most heavily mutated variant so far and is now radically different to the form that emerged in Wuhan, China. That means vaccines, which were designed using the original, may not be as effective. And some of its mutations are known to increase the ability of coronaviruses to spread.

There are early signs this virus is spreading in South Africa and may already be in every province in the country.

Blimey - thatā€™s really bad news ā€¦ :frowning_face:

Well, there goes my Christmas and New Years vacation !!!

Itā€™s two years later and itā€™s been canceled once again :010:

I hate this flipping virus!!!

1 Like

:hugs: Iā€™m sorryā€¦it must be heartbreaking :frowning:

So I canā€™t help but wonder how many more different injections will peopleā€™s bodyā€™s be expected to cope with?

1 Like

@Mups , might as well.have a permanent cannula sewn into ones wrist or arm. Then you could have a whole array of tubes available at your local chemist, or even Tesco, swipe your ID into a machine and have whatever chemical du jour squirted into you over a cuppa while you read the paper. Kinda like a medical equivalent of ladies sitting under hairdriers at the salon.

Disappointed. Probably in for another lockdown

Yes, Iā€™m expecting one for over here too, despite our government saying otherwise. :frowning:

1 Like

Well, this Ā£&Ā£@ variant has 10 mutations! More than 30 spikes on the protein!

Delta had 2 mutations.
Beta had 3 mutations.

Vaccines may be ineffective against this variant. The NICD is still testing for transmissibility etc.

Iā€™ve got COVID-19 fatigueā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m just reading up on the new one, yes, its quite scary. Our Health secretary says it might already be in the UK, and it isnā€™t known how it affects people yet. I wish they would stop with the ā€œifsā€ ā€œbutsā€ and ā€œmaybeā€™sā€ and just tell us what they do know!

:+1:

1 Like

@Minx , I feel for you. You wont have recently gone through a prolonged situation which will have involved endless experts disagreeing with each other, incessant political jabbering, media mania involving countless journos all vying for pole position, increased public ire, and at the end of it nobody being any the wiser.

The UK had Brexit for a few years, so weā€™re battle hardened to this sort of chicanery.

1 Like

Havenā€™t we all.
What are you doing to help keep yourselves safe?

1 Like

Where are you?Busy stocking up on Pringles and toilet paper I hope.

1 Like

Strange how using the product contained within one tube will eventually lead to using a product wrapped round another tube.

Funny old worldšŸ˜‰

1 Like