COVID-19: Johnson says lockdown, not vaccine, is reason for drop in cases and deaths

As I’ve said many times Mart, each person should do what they are comfortable with, and my opinions and conclusions are a result of extensive research and personal accounts from the people I know, so not a gut feeling at all.
In Australia due to their limited number of infections and deaths from covid, and taking into account their excellent track and trace system, almost every case can be traced back to contact with an infected person.

There are lots of people in the medical profession who agree with my opinion, but you won’t hear them on the MSM…:009:

Name five … :wink:

So I can spend the rest of Saturday night batting and bowling with you Omah, not bloody likely, do your own research…:009: Take it or leave it…:102:

When I “research” and draw conclusions then I provide the links … as you know, “unsubstantiated assertion” is a favourite accusation of mine … :mrgreen:

Most of my conclusions are not exclusively internet based, they are from meeting real people and listening to reports on the forum from people who have actually experienced the examples I sometimes use.

We haven’t and won’t change our views whatever. Might as well take an evening off. :slight_smile:

Ah … hearsay … :wink:

The advice keeps changing, as does the science, and, each new mutation is more transferable than the previous one.

Apparently.

Whatever!..:102:

Instead of BJ’s blustering, a report from PHE:

Impact of COVID-19 vaccines on mortality in England: December 2020 to March 2021

Over the course of the vaccine rollout (from 6 January 2021) a national lockdown was introduced which included ‘stay at home’ measures and closure of non-essential retail, hospitality and personal care services and school closures for most children.

Both the lockdown and the vaccination programme are likely to have impacted on incidence of COVID-19 cases, hospitalisations and deaths, therefore there are challenges in estimating the impact of either intervention alone.

Taking into account observed deaths with COVID-19 and emerging real world evidence of the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines Public Health England and the University of Warwick have estimated the number of deaths prevented by vaccination in England between the start of the vaccination programme and the end of March 2021.

Conclusions

An estimated 10,400 deaths have been averted as a result of the COVID-19 vaccination programme up to the end of March 2021.

This analysis is based on the direct effects of the vaccination on mortality. There is increasing evidence that both vaccines in use in England prevent infection and transmission. The indirect effects of the vaccination programme will not be incorporated in this analysis, therefore the figure of 10,400 deaths averted is likely to be an
underestimate.

These findings provide further evidence that the COVID-19 vaccination programme is already having a significant impact on severe COVID-19 disease in England beyond the effect of the national lockdown.

Indeed … :!:

Blustering?
I wonder if any of you saw this in The Telegraph earlier in the week?

[B][SIZE=“4”]"Quarter of Covid deaths not caused by virus, new figures show

Calls to speed up roadmap as 23 per cent of recent deaths are people dying ‘with’ disease rather than ‘from’ it"[/SIZE][/B]

"Daily death figures by “date of death” reveal that Britain has had no more than 28 deaths a day since the beginning of April, even though the government-announced deaths have been as high as 60.

This is because the Government gives a daily update on deaths based on the number reported that day, which can include deaths from days or weeks previously and therefore may not reflect the true decline in deaths."

“Likewise, Oxford University has calculated that the number of people in hospital with an active Covid infection is likely to be around half the current published daily figure. Tuesday’s official figure showed there were 2,537 Covid patients in hospital, with 230 new admissions.”

That pretty much says what quite a few people have long-said about the overstating of the UK’s official death toll during this pandemic.
Those that have access to The Telegraph can read the full report here:

I don’t have access … :069:

Oxford University is a big place - which part is doing the calculations … :?:

“Fiddling” the figures has always been a government predilection - BJ’s government is no exception and, to date, has changed the rules for counting COVID deaths at least 3 times AFAIK (and always downwards).

A broader picture is best obtained by looking at “excess mortality”:

The Covid pandemic has caused excess deaths to rise to their highest level in the UK since World War Two.

There were close to 697,000 deaths in 2020 - nearly 85,000 more than would be expected based on the average in the previous five years.

This represents an increase of 14% - making it the largest rise in excess deaths for more than 75 years.

When the age and size of the population is taken into account, 2020 saw the worst death rates since the 2000s.

This measure - known as age-standardised mortality - takes into account population growth and age.

The data is only available until November - so the impact of deaths in December have not yet been taken into account - but it shows the death rate at that stage was at its highest in England since 2008.

https://i.ibb.co/xj3DPGG/Deaths-2020-to-2021-YTD.png

Using the most up-to-date data we have available, the number of deaths from the week ending 13 March 2020 up to 5 March 2021 was 640,322 in England and Wales. Of the deaths registered by 5 March 2021, 134,256 (21.0%) mentioned COVID-19 on the death certificate. During this period, the number of excess deaths above the five-year average was 109,193 deaths.

In England, the number of deaths between the week ending 13 March 2020 and 5 March 2021 was 600,762 and of these, 126,432 deaths (21.0%) mentioned COVID-19. This was 104,453 deaths above the five-year average.

In Wales, the number of deaths was 38,769 and of these, 7,649 deaths (19.7%) mentioned COVID-19. This was 5,438 deaths above the five-year average.

Y’pays yer money an’ y’takes yer choice … :102:

You don’t need access to a newspaper to realise that being knocked down by a #27 bus is not “death by covid” just because you’ve been tested at some time in the previous 28 days, surely?
:wink:

Black = deaths involving Covid-19 & red = deaths due to Covid-19.
The last expanded column is for week ending 2nd April 2021 and shows that a quarter of deaths recorded as Covid-19 are not in fact due to the virus.

“The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that 23 per cent of coronavirus deaths registered are now people who have died “with” the virus rather than “from” an infection.”
That from my earlier link answers part of your question Omah.
If you want more feel free to email The Telegraph with your questions.
:wink:

Seems to have been pretty average except for April last year and January this year. I wonder why those two specific periods.

I’ll hazard a guess - it might be connected to the COVID-19 pandemic and BJ’s inept response to that national emergency … :wink:

Figures are usually similar every year JB. Us old’uns don’t do winter very well…:frowning:

Except last year … :wink:

So the virus was particularly virulent only during April last year and January this year, and Boris has been particularly inept only during April last year and January this year?

Does not compute! :shock: