Council Tax rebates

Council Tax rebate for bands A-D
https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19896553.sunak-announces-150-council-tax-rebate-200-energy-bill-cut/

Bloody hell that’s a good rates rebate. I get only $250 a year pensioner discount which reduces my council tax/rates to about $1500pa (£750). It is an absolute disgrace.

When this rebate was first introduced it was supposed to half the council rates for pensioners but since then it has not been increased even though council rates have gone up in line with the CPI.

I can’t comment on the power rebate because I can’t remember the pensioner discount off hand on electricity (my bill is about $200 a quarter after the rebate) but the discount on water reduces my quarterly bill to about $60 which seems very fair.

Here’s some more info from Age UK.

How will the Council Tax rebate work?

• Households in England in Council Tax Bands A-D will be eligible for a £150 rebate in
their council tax bill in April this year.
• The rebate to bills will be made directly by local authorities. This won’t have to be
repaid.
• 80% of households in England are in Council Tax Bands A-D, so will benefit from this
rebate. The rebate will not be paid for second homes or empty properties.
• We expect the vast majority of people who pay by Direct Debit to receive this money in
April. For households in Bands A-D who do not pay by Direct Debit, their councils will be
ready to process their claims in April.
• For those with council tax bills lower than £150 that month, it will take a bit longer to
receive the benefit in full. Almost all households should see the full benefit by May

• The government is providing new funding to local authorities for these rebates, as well as
extra funding to help with increased administrative costs.
• For those who need help with their energy bills but are not eligible – such as households
on income support in higher bands (E-H) or with properties in bands A-D that are exempt
from council tax – local authorities will receive £144 million of discretionary funding to
help.
• Further details will be set out by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and
Communities and local authorities.

Will people across the whole UK benefit?
• The £200 energy bills discount applies across England, Wales and Scotland. The
Northern Ireland Executive is responsible for energy policy in Northern Ireland. The
Northern Ireland Executive will be funded to provide comparable support with around
£150 million through the Barnett formula next year. The Barnett formula will also be
applied when UK Government spending is recovered in future years, which will result in
lower funding for the Executive in those years.
• The £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate applies in England only, as Council Tax policy is
devolved in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. As a result, the devolved
administrations will receive around £565 million extra funding through the Barnett
formula, which will enable them to provide similar support. They will be able to choose
whether to spend this funding this year or next year.
• This comprises around £290million for the Scottish Government, £175million for the
Welsh Government and £100million for the Northern Ireland Executive.

I think this is only a one off as it was only announced today by our teenage chancellor / PM in waiting .

I’m in the wrong band :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m wondering how this will work. All of my tenants have prepayment meters as per their tenancy agreement, so anyone doing a flit cant leave me with a bill, and I’m struggling to see how they will receive a rebate/discount.

No idea, LD. :thinking:

1 Like

That’s the problem with the one size fits all theory, the fine print is never published and we have to dig deep in an effort to find the answers. I can understand how a billed account will work, but prepayment has me befuddled :man_shrugging:

LongDriver this was discussed last night might have been one of the questions asked in Rishi’s press conference last night, but they will be looked after too, can’t remember the details though.

1 Like

I am also in a much higher band and won’t get the reduction.
Don’t they realise some of us are asset rich but cash poor.

Liquidize your Assets then, oh er Madam :smiley:

No way! I don’t believe in going backwards as it’s all downhill from there!!

I will just shut up and put up!! :laughing:

Hi
Art, I fully understand and respect your views.

I have taken a different view, sold up the big house, not as big as yours of course and not in such a posh area.

Now in a Ex Council, end of Terrace 3 bed with a conservatory, which is incredibly posh compared to where I grew up.

I will not be paying Inheritance Tax, my son will have a perfectly good house within walking distance of everything, job done.

I am not bothered about the size of my house, much happier as I get older in a smaller one which is easier and cheaper to look after.

Horses for courses Art, your house suits suits you, it is what you want, which is what it is all about.

A very classy lady with a very classy house.

You are happy where you are, I am happy where I am.

That is what it is all about.

Hi

The Bots could well get me here, but I think I have a very valid point.

Council Tax Rebates have no effect at all on those who do not pay Council Tax anyway.

They are not even bothered about losing the house, they know full well that no matter what they have done if they have kids they will will be automatically rehoused.

That is our system.

Taking the kids off them , moving them away is stupidly expensive, a minimum of £200k a year, it is not going to happen.

They just laugh at ASBOs etc.

They know they will get another house and that Social Services will pay for the move, even if it is next door but one.

This is not a joke, it is not a fantasy, it has just happened today, here.

2 Likes

I did my online application for the Council Tax rebate around 4 weeks ago, and I’ve heard nothing. Every other person I know who has done the application has had their £150, but I’ve had/heard nothing about it.