Could you live in a caravan?

Yes, you are right summer, that lifestyle is “not to be sniffed at” :icon_wink:

This is the view just outside the caravan on my favourite caravan site

I get up in the morning, throw open the door and sit and spend a few minutes just looking at this

Then I wander up to the site shop, buy a paper, magazines and some provisions.

When I get back, I cook us bacon and eggs, then we sit outside and drink a cup of real coffee, chatting, reading the paper and enjoying the view

I can’t think of a more perfect morning Freedom, no meal times and dining rooms, lots of privacy, no having to interact with fellow guests and hotel staff I’m not a big fan of hotels, however luxurious.

I like keeping our little caravan home fresh and tidy, hanging my washing outside, walking down to the sea for a swim, enjoying the simple living, being warm and cosy inside and the rain on the roof, playing Scrabble, knitting, hearing children playing and the seagulls. Bliss!

2 Likes

I love caravanning for holidays and I really do think I could live in one. In fact me and John have often talked of selling up and buying one and me being able to retire early.

However I then get to thinking,

1. but where would I do my crafts, I need a craft room.

2. Wouldnt move away as Dad needs me here and he wouldn’t want to leave his bungalow

3. The ground rent is expensive, some as much as over £4000 per year which equates to over £80 per week which is a small mortgage.

By the way we holidayed at Haggerston Castle in Northumberland a couple of years ago and the grounds are stunning. A lot of money has been spent on making it a desirable place to holiday and live.

In an ideal world I would have a caravan and use it for the summer and see how we get on. But alas that coukdnt be as couldn’t afford 2 homes

I think there are two separate issues here. Holidaying in a caravan, and living permanently in one. I love a hotel! No cooking or washing pots for a couple of weeks - We always go full board, and after a tough days walking I’m too tired to go out looking for somewhere to eat, so we always choose a hotel that serves good food and not chips with everything.
The room is always spotless upon our return, so after a quick shower and changing into to some posh clothes we go down to dinner…Brill… :sunglasses:

However, I could quite easily live in a caravan full time (except for holidays) a narrow boat would be even better, but I would hire one first to see how it goes. I like the peace and quiet of the country and have many things that would would keep me occupied, so yes, being able to change location occasionally, and not be part of the hum drum of modern life would be perfect…

Hagerstown Castle is a Haven site, isn’t it? I do like their caravan sites, there’s every convenience if you want it, and enough privacy if you don’t. I like to use the swimming pools

Space for crafting etc would be what I’d miss.

I definitely wouldn’t want to live in a caravan if it wasn’t mobile. Surely the fun of caravaning is waking up in a new place?

Free camping is the best fun even though my little camper doesn’t have a toilet or shower you soon learn to make do, I carry more than enough water for a shower each day and certainly no fees. You can always stay at a caravan park when you need to do laundry.

Modern caravans are basically self contained so you can stop anywhere though most recommend about 30km outside a town so you don’t get noise form the local hoons waking you up at 1am doing wheelies.

I don’t know what the UK equivalent is but this book is excellent for finding free places to stop no matter where you are.

Haggerston do Haven and hoseasons Maree. There are private caravans and owned caravans too.

Just thinking we could add an awning for our crafting. Shall we sod off ? Hehe

1 Like

Parking and siting is expensive for motor homes here in some places. Again its a ground rent

Saw this in Australia thought it looked a great idea

Yay! Let’s go :minibus: I’d love it :+1:

I really have given it some serious thought We’d probably want a static caravan, not one you trail around

And then, like you say, an awning.

And change our car to something like a Berlingo and build like a craft storage area in the back, a bit like this

Parked next to your caravan it would give a good extra space

Trouble is we are quite tall people and Mr M gets in the way quite a lot in a house I would probably murder him if we lived in a caravan .I would like a motor home though so I could travel about without worrying about where to stay .

2 Likes

I love caravan holidays, but living in one? Probs not.

1 Like

Yes, if I was younger and more agile I would have one on my car. There are pop up ones which are less setting up and more aerodynamic when packed away.

Like mobile homes once you are set up your car is stuck which I thought would be a disadvantage but my niece and her husband use one and she tells me that you soon learn to make sure you don’t need anything before you set it up. The same is true of an awning of course. My daughter’s Jimney has a batwing awning which provides shelter on three sides of her car, she uses a swag, which, again if I was younger, is a great way of camping.

She usually sets it up on a stretcher similar to the one in the pic. It keeps you above the snakes :wink:

So many choices these days, I like my teardrop camper because you stop and can use it immediately. The disadvantage is that like towing anything it makes your vehicle longer so parking in town is some times difficult but these days so many towns are “RV Friendly” and provide long parking bays for people towing campers and caravans.

I forgot to mention that somewhere I have a stretcher tent which is sort of a swag but the legs are built in. It is handy for the weekend away but doesn’t have much room inside and doesn’t have the flexibility of a swag. I am getting too old for it.

Had to live in an Anderson shelter for 57 days and nights as bombs were dropped non stop during WW2 and a ruddy caravan would have been like a palace to us.

My great grandmother was a Romanii gypsy and her vardo was absolutely stunning so my mother told me but was burnt with all her belongings in it when she died.

I would love a camper an for holidays but I couldn’t live in one Mr M gets in my way as it is .

1 Like

Caravan? No way. Not even for a vacation. We are both creatures of comfort, now more than ever.

Some of these caravans are more luxurious than my house and much more mobile.

There are campers who have been trapped in Cape York for months because of flooding and have had food drops

We had a 5 birth caravan before we moved to the midlands.we kept it on our driveway in horley in Surrey and towed it for our holidays . Great times back then

@Bruce , That looks better than the average low cost house on offer in
the UK Brucy ! Plus the outback is much bigger than the garden space they allow
us to have over here !
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: