Costs getting Real

Hi

I nwas with Avro Energy which went bust.

The final payment to them was £108 last week and I am already paying Octopus far more.

Nationally we are looking at a 5% increase in Council Tax next year, allowed for by the Government to pay for Social Care Costs.

Do you check it against your fuel usage each month?

If it’s a credit balance then it’s in advance at that point. Most pay as you go is in advance.

Hi

This goes much further than you know.

Bills are going up hugely, the winners are the suppliers.

The suppliers want Muslim Domination, by that I mean extremism.

We are paying for our own downfall.

Did wood go up about 3 times the price in the UK? Wood prices here are crazy.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you mean.

My bills are quarterly, the electricity bill compares daily usage against the previous quarter and the bill a year ago, The water bill does something similar. I am not at home at the moment so I can’t look at a bill to check.

All I know is this, I know the financial position as of November the 1st (zero balance) the meter tells me my daily/weekly cost (usage) so, I will know what the roll up cost will be on November 30th, that is what I intend to pay. Why would I want to give anyone a buffer at my cost?

(when it effectively doubles my direct debit)

I meant do you double check that they have billed you correctly - I was referring to a discussion above about smart meter potential inaccuracy in recording electricity use vs actual use and overbilling. How can we tell smart metres are correct in the collection of usage data and therefore billing?

Here’s an article about that. Relevant sentences :

*Andrew Long is chief executive of Switchcraft which automatically moves customers on to cheaper gas and electricity tariffs. He says: 'Energy suppliers love to keep your account in credit and then use your money to run their business. *

If you want your credit balance back, suppliers are not allowed to refuse without good reason. But you will need to be insistent. Threatening to switch supplier often helps.’

1. Request a refund of built-up credit. Your supplier should repay this promptly but may hold some back to prevent debt accruing on the account over winter. If you believe the company is withholding too much, make an official complaint in writing

Exactly AnnieS, may as well use the Smart Meter to pay just what you owe, it has no other bloody use for the consumer.

I’ve noticed just about everything is going up…its a bit worrying isn’t it.

1 Like

Is this the start of the pain we were going to suffer because of brexit?, or has that yet to kick in…?

Well, the rise is blatant on the petrol, done 192 miles so far this month and stuck £50.00 in fuel in so far.

Blame the pandemic. Blame the oil producers for upping the price. Blame Russia for the gas price increase. Blame who you like but remember we have a Tory government.

2 Likes

I don’t think we can blame the government for world price increases Ted this seems to be a global problem.

1 Like

Don’t forget that most suppliers charge a lower rate for customers who pay by DD and more for direct billing followed by a payment.

So are you implying that a government of any other political persuasion would approach the price rise any differently?

Errr…are they asking you to comply with this? What if you can’t? That sounds incredibly cheeky of them! My electric direct debit has doubled in price since September, just because they decided to. My consumption hasn’t risen at all. :roll_eyes:

Somehow I get to think that the Suppliers are expecting a lot of defaulters, as the price rockets, so they are changing their rules to suit their pockets.

Very worrying for those who cannot afford to have a big pre-payment trapped in this way!

:cold_face:

2 Likes

Oh I see, I don’t have a smart meter. I am charged per Kwh, There is a different rate for the off peak electricity but that is a separate meter from the main meter and is turned off and on by the electricity company using tones sent over the power wires.

As for checking them I can just go out to the meter box if I want but I am sure i would notice any anomaly. Actually for the last but one bill because of the lockdown I received an email saying that because a meter reader was not able to get to my property they would bill me an estimate based on previous usage. My last bill was an actual reading, their estimate must have been pretty good because the bills were both pretty similar to normal.

If I had solar panels I would want a smart meter but I am unlikely to fit solar now.