Cost of living rising in UK

This is quite worrying - looks like the next couple of years are going to be difficult for a lot of people:

Have you started to make changes? Is it affecting you?

5 Likes

No. Both of us have cast iron pensions and good investments over our life times, so we are prepared for all but war and with the state of the world today nothing is guaranteed.

4 Likes

For some of us it will be like re-living through the war years again with ration books :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I’ve cut back on my spending, luckily I have my son, he won’t see me go without and he doesn’t…

3 Likes

During the last war it was different because most people not at the front had the attitude of helping each other, but today most seem to be of the ‘‘me first n sod the rest’’ type. I’m kinda glad I’m in my twilight years and can allow it all to wash over me with our imaginary drawbridge pulled up.

6 Likes

I’m lucky in as much as I have a decent civil service pension the wife has a British Gas pension.
We also have both our girls still living at home, they don’t pay much for upkeep because we want them to be able to save a good bit of their income. But we could up their payments if necessary.
In addition we have our savings as well. :+1:

3 Likes

Yes…I am moving to a smaller flat and yet my overall expenses at the new smaller place are far higher than if I had stayed where I was. Its a real worry, to be honest, but one step at a time, one day at a time. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi

This is affecting millions who are not fortunate enough to have big pensions and savings.

They have recently had £20 a week drop in income and they are really suffering.

It is not simply a matter of them getting a job or longer hours, many cannot.

I have a very good pension, but am self funding for Carers.

It is affecting me.

2 Likes

That’s our plan should money get tight, we will downsize although this house is only small really but we could go for something perhaps 50k less than what we are in

2 Likes

It seems to be all about how much more can we take from the people and how much less can we provide them with?
We have to pay more (costs, etc.) yet our healthcare system is not what it once was - just to take a couple of examples.
At the same time we are inviting in all and sundry from the third world (via France) who, despite our losses, we are expected to support.

3 Likes

Yes. I am going to treat it like a recession, and spend my way out of it. I have made a start by buying things I don’t need. I intend to stay one step ahead.

2 Likes

That’s what we are told but from what I see the evidence suggests there is still plenty of money about!

I look at my 4 nieces who all have small children and they have great social lives, take expensive holidays, wear lovely clothes and drive nice cars. they think nothing of spending huge sums on spa days and afternoon teas.

I compare that to us having kids in the 80s and we could not afford holidays, we drove old bangers and I bought the majority of my kids clothes and toys at jumble sales. Got some real bargains! We only went out once in their preschool years and that was to a party where we took the firstborn in a carry cot. We couldn’t afford a babysitter.

3 Likes

They’ve been on the increase over here, too, with inflation reaching about 5% and food prices as well as those for gas, fuel, and electricity going up the most. Everybody is affected although some can cushion them more than others.

All the grafters will just graft more, maybe for a bit longer, but, that is worth it, just to reach the end.

Correct. I was just reading an article by a woman who manages a team of 15 receptionists at a GP practice with 23,000 patients. It’s a lengthy article and nowhere in there does she explain WHY there are so many more patients but we all know the reason …… because we are inundated with people from other countries!

She says she started her job 5 years ago and there were 18,000 patients, now there are 23,000 and still registering 50-60 new patients a week! Bearing in mind that our ageing population is dying off, fewer babies are being born and also that a lot of East Europeans have returned to their countries what does that tell us?

:smiley!!!

I am concerned as living on a basic state pension I am wearing an extra jumper at home and turn heating off around 8pm . My house is a little 2 up 2 down mid terrace I was paying £38 direct debit for gas and elec last year and always a few quid in credit, I’m now paying £58 per month and dont think it’s enough . Luckily there is an Aldi to shop in and I like their fresh veg it’s all a good price . But I’m good at budgeting because to be honest I never had good salary when working as earned minimum wage only most of my life .

Same here.

That £20/week drop was a TEMPORARY £20/week increase during the early stages of the pandemic and, rightly so, had run its course.

You say that as if they should have stuck in the bank for a rainy day.

My mother gave up her sweet rations so the International Red Cross could supply my father with some sweets. He was on a POW camp from 1940 - 1945

2 Likes