Cost of cafe snacks

I wonder…if I put on my Just William outfit would I get away with four chicken nuggets and a sausage?

2 Likes

I’m just praying four chicken nuggets and a sausage isn’t a euphemism :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s probably best not to dwell upon it :innocent:

1 Like

Funny now you mention it …
During covid 2 cafes closed down in my local village …
since then, and now, during the cost of living crisis …
1 restaurant has been totally refurbished,
1 posh pub/hotel has spent 1 million on a Nordic spa garden …
2 new bar/restaurants have opened…
and 1 new coffee house has opened where a slice of banana on toast drizzled with honey cost £7.00 and a bowl of soup is a fiver.

None of them are going out of business.
I don’t know how people afford it.

Some folks always seem to buck recessions :laughing:

1 Like

The thing is, not everybody has to afford it to keep them going, as long as a few can

So those who can’t afford to eat out probably still wouldn’t go if they dropped their prices. And if they did they’d be taking up space and spending less

And those who can afford it will still go even if the prices are eye watering if they enjoy it, even if they moan

So they are probably better off charging high prices to the few with cash to spend and making sure it’s upmarket and luxurious to attract them, than dropping their prices in the hope of gaining more low spenders

It’s a cynical marketing ploy, I tell you!

One day it will burst, won’t it?

I don’t know if it will .

Even when the cost fuel reached eye watering levels the roads on weekends were jam packed with traffic.
There are still queues for the beach cafes.
Although it’s been noticeable shops in town have been quieter after the January sales.

Yep Ripple, it’s best to ignore the odd plus or minus growth-negative growth percentage point and watch other folk instead, recession, what recession?

1 Like

It’s the way in recessions, though, isn’t it?

The rich and lucky always do rather well out of them and can exploit the situation

The comfortably off survive

And it’s those at the bottom of the pile who suffer

The one’s you don’t see out in cafes and shops

They’re home shivering because they’ve no money for the meter and are trying to feed their children with only a couple of quid left until the end of the week

1 Like

Yes, I always think its un-noticed where the real stories are.

The Media always seem to confuse a recession with a depression for some reason.

Is the U.K. in recession? It’s doesn’t feel like it is ….

It said not last week , we had narrowly avoided it

1 Like

Recession is an accounting term at the mo.

1 Like

We stick to our Chinese takeaway now, as we have 2 mains meals plus rice and its £19 including delivery.

We had a quick takeaway from our local kebab shop at the weekend for 5 of us.

2 x medium cod
1 x quarterpounder cheeseburger
1 x halfpounder cheeseburger
1 small piece chicken breast
3 x small chips

£38.50!! The guy doublechecked it as I wasn’t expecting that. The small burgers have gone up £2, the large up £3 and the fish up £1.50 each and chips up 50p each. Chicken breast up £1. That’s since around October when we last had one.

We still go out about once a week to a garden centre for lunch and can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in the prices. Except all the kids at half term…
:roll_eyes:

Let them eat Cake, if they can afford it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You’re very lucky then because even our little village bakery has had to put their prices up. Rolls, loaves, cakes, sausage rolls all gone up substantially.

Most places just guess at a price increase. One cafe near us is now charging over £7 for a toasted sandwich with a tiny scrap of lettuce and cucumber on the side. Last week we were in another town and a cafe was charging £3.15 just the same small dressing but far more cheese filling.

Thing is, they will never come down again. Prices never do.