Cost of cafe snacks

I met two friends for coffee and a snack today. Nowhere posh just a small cafe where we have met before. OMG How prices have gone up!! I ordered a toasted sandwich with cheese and onion filling. £7.75 for 2 toasted supermarket slices of bread and a bit of filling. I queried it with the assistant and she confirmed that was correct. Before Xmas we used to go and it was around £4.50. She said it was down to the cost of overheads which I appreciate but I think if they’re not careful they will price themselves out of the market.

I chose a bowl of soup and a small roll for £5.75 instead.

3 Likes

I know what you mean , what gets me is the price of a slice of Cake £3.50 ,
And the price of a Chinese Take away now , I only have one now on Pension day…

2 Likes

Sadly, way of the world we are in today. I used to enjoy eating out, a nice Chinese takeaway or good old fish and chips. Prices today means all this has become a rare treat.

2 Likes

yes, not much in the cake line under £3.50 now. We had a special treat out a few weeks ago, very nice roast lunch with all the trimmings and at £12.95 each was I suppose the going rate. It was beautifully cooked and the portions were generous and all the veg was fresh and the yorkshires were homemade. Then we ordered desserts and I thought they were very expensive at £6.95 each.

We nipped into Wetherspoons on Sat for a traditional breakfast and for £4.65 each plus £1.25 for coffee with endless refills it was superb value.

Went for takeaway fish n chips a couple of weeks ago £17 for two…I think I’m now part owner in a fishing trawler….

4 Likes

That made me laugh. :rofl:

Our local garden center (Dobbies) charge £3.75 for a slice of cake

1 Like

Earlier when on dog walk was talking to one of Holly’s friends. Said he and his wife ate out last night. Steak, chips and accompaniments for him, and a pint of beer. Garlic bread and chips and glass of coke for the missus. Overall coat, £72. I nearly passed out!! His meal was the most, of course, at £39. Blimming heck. No wonder I refuse to eat out nowadays.

In our cafe each week I stick to just a pot of tea. I think even her cake slices have gone up to £3 now.

1 Like

its no wonder more and more resturants and eateries are closing down , the owners are passing on the expenses which the diner cannot afford

Its the Garden Centres that are drawing people in ,I treated my Daughter last time she was over visiting , the Dining area was packed infact you had to wait while a table came available ,

Do you have a Dobbies card…?, we get two free drinks per month with ours…

1 Like

We had a lovely lunch at a golf club today, we were a party of 14, pre-booked. Cost £30 for the two of us & included 2 cappuccino coffees, 2 pannini’s, ham & cheese, with mixed salad & coleslaw, in a small dish, then 2 profiteroles, 5 on a plate with a twisty chocolate straw & chocolate sauce. The food was delicious & well worth the money. I had never been there before. Others in our party had different food, but it was all very well presented & a lot of it. Don’t usually eat so much at lunch time. We will certainly go there again. I hadn’t been out to lunch for months, it was brilliant.

4 Likes

£7.50 mini Fish and chips, £5.80 mini Kebab Meat and chips, oh well, there will be fewer overweight people about, every cloud and all that.

1 Like

Im not so sure !
Imo there will be a lot cheap carbohydrates consumed …leading to bloated population :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Our favourite place for tea and cake is a restaurant on the beach, not posh, but very nice after a morning stroll by the sea

Cake is £3.50 to £4.50, coffee is £2.50, so £7 quid but a nice treat

But me and my best mate, well, call us tight, but sometimes we share a cake!

They are big portions anyway, huge for one, plenty for two, and they are happy to bring us an extra plate and fork!

If you’re just popping in for elevenses, £3.50 isn’t so bad :rofl:

My husband wouldn’t dream of it when we go together, of course, and is horrified at our cheek!

2 Likes

Wow those cakes look so good :heart_eyes:

1 Like

They are lovely, and it’s a nice setting, literally a glass restaurant on the beach.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth every penny …the view the cakes the coffee.
I pay £3.50 for coffee with a similar view , the cakes £3.50 and not a patch on yours :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

We have an award winning fish and chip shop on the coast a few miles from us. They do a Light Bites Menu which is perfect for us. Smaller piece of cod, half chips and any soft drink £6.50. We also have loyalty cards so get a further 10% off.

The portions are very generous and I see people ordering the large portions and then leaving most of it as there is just too much.

Yes I have a dobbies card

1 Like