Coronation: Who Was That "Greek Goddess" With The Big Sword?

Although I had no real interest in the Coronation, I do enjoy the sideshow, especially “celebrity-spotting” (with the sound turned down) so when I saw this:

I was curious as to why a “Greek Goddess” was taking part in the service.

Now I knew that the extraordinary Princess Alice of Battenberg (Prince Philip’s mother) had taken part in the 1953 Coronation, dressed as a nun:

so I thought there was some connection.

However, the “Greek Goddess”, resplendent in teal blue dress with gold detail and matching cape, was none other than Penny Mordaunt, in her capacity as Lord President of the Privy Council, carrying the 17th-century Sword of State.

I thought that she looked extremely elegant while holding a very heavy sword (even when unsheathed) in a very uncomfortable position for a very long time … :+1:

I believe she should be given a title.
She certainly did look elegant Omah,how she managed to hold that stance foe so long is unbelievable.

1 Like

Oh yuck, I don’t like to see Tories being given a plug like that. They scrubbed her up OK and she didn’t drop it, I suppose, but that’s the best you can say about her.

I know they invited all the living ex PMs, but Johnson and Truss? Really? Another disgrace and insult to the people of our country

The whole thing is about privilege, I suppose and showing the peasants their place

And how some of the peasants love that! :rofl:

I think the ladies who chose to wear huge hats were very rude and inconsiderate to the other attendees :womans_hat::womans_hat::womans_hat:

1 Like

That’s what I thought - it’s a once in a lifetime coronation not an everyday wedding … :angry:

1 Like

Kate Perry’s was so huge she couldn’t see past it to find her seat!

Hahaha … :laughing:

Penny mordaunt.

It was very Game f Thrones, wasn’t it?

Just like Cersei Lannister and probably just as evil :rofl:

I thought Penny Mordaunt did a fantastic job today. She looked elegant, her timing was perfect, her outfit was spot on for the occasion and how she carried those heavy items is beyond me. Fair play to her!

5 Likes

The people spotting is quite fun, Omah

Anyone know who this is?

I thought her outfit looked a bit odd, big hat, the flowing from the shoulder thingy, a bit OTT like a wedding outfit and she was stuck out at the end really awkwardly

Apparently, the Grim Reaper was there too!

Very Terry Pratchett to invite Death!