Coronation invitation, does Charles see himself as the Green Man?

For a a Republican I’m probably taking too much interest in the Coronation, apologies!

But as an artist, I love the invitation designed by Andrew Jamieson

But look, right in the middle at the bottom is a Green Man!

He’s from U.K. folklore, pagan connections and you often see him carved right into churches and architecture

He’s about rebirth, re growth and Spring and to do with Robin Hood and Puck and Jack-in-the-Green in May Day parades

I’m loving it, I bet that’s who greenie King Charles sees himself as!

New coronation robe?

4 Likes

Ole Chas has been green long before it became fashionable to be so. He is the original tree hugger of his generation :wink::grin:

1 Like

That’s a beautiful invitation, more colorful than I thought it would be. I wouldn’t have noticed the green man. Thanks for the history.

1 Like

Do you know, I’m warming to him!

I think he’s a bit of a snob and doesn’t live in the real world or understand it, really

But he’s stuck by Camilla, who is his true love, by making her Queen

And the doddery old fool is quite a character, pottering around his plants and pretending to be a farmer

Not worth the money we spend on them of course, and morally wrong to have a non-elected head of state based on privilege of birth

So, OFF WITH HIS HEAD and long live the Republic

But I do rather like the idea of him as the Green Man as long as he promises not to do naked fertility dances with Camilla on the lawns of Buck House :rofl:

1 Like

If the old queen mother had not interfered and set her sights on Di, the whole history thing would not have unfurled the way it has. He was always taken with Camilla but she got fed up waiting for him to stand up for himself.

3 Likes

That’s true, I think, but their’s is the real love story. Perhaps he’s making up now for letting himself be pushed around over her?

I often wonder how the story would have been told if Camilla had been the beauty and Diana the plain one?

2 Likes

IMO beauty was not in the equation. The old harridan was searching for some royal linage or close to, and the Spencer line filled in nicely. Plus, of course, the old woman had always admired the Churchill barony.

1 Like

I’m not a royalist but I love the history of England’s Kings and Queens , I like the invitation it’s beautiful in design . History in the making

3 Likes

It was involved in the Royals choosing Diana but I do think it affected how the public viewed them both in the story and how the media presented them

Diana the beautiful, young and innocent princess and Camilla the ugly, wicked marriage breaker

I actually like the art work, it’s engaging and has something of the Nicholas Culpepper about it.

And yes, Charles isn’t the first green king.

170px-Osiris-tomb-of-Nefertari

1 Like

No he is not. Greene King make a fair pint :beer:

2 Likes

That’s beer garden talk!! :wink:

2 Likes

I love this! :heart_eyes:
It is the kind of aesthetically pleasing attention to detail I would expect from Charles.

There is so much symbolism in the decoration of this invitation - it is exquisite.

Those entwined Cs at the top are a lovely touch of love and romance too. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

I always thought he had his head chopped off? (Not Charles,the Green Man)
Anyway,I don’t hate him,he’s got a sense of humour which goes a long way with me.

2 Likes

It’s really lovely, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Osiris had his head chopped off… I’m not so sure about the green man.
Anyway spring is in the air!

I shall search Etsy/Amazon for a decent maypole.

2 Likes

Something about all this is reminding me of the Wicker Man!

2 Likes

Britt Ekland ? For me,anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, there is something about a Swede isn’t there and I should know I married one :+1:

1 Like

Very much so, a classic film.
You might want to consider Blood on Satan’s Claw.

Beautifully filmed, definitely something to watch when you’re in the right frame of mind, not exactly uplifting.

1 Like