Cornish New Potatoes

When I was in the market yestermorn I bought some Cornish New Potatoes. Cooked them today to have with homemade Salmon and Broccoli. They are the tastiest new potatoes I have had in a long while.

I used to like Jersey Royals until eurofilth banned the use of seaweed fertiliser and they lost their flavour.

2 Likes

I bought some ‘loose’ Jersey Royals from Waitrose last week and they were lovely and better than last years. I haven’t seen Cornish around yet in the local greengrocer.

I’m not familiar with Cornish New Potatoes but I’ll keep an eye out so I can try one of these recipes:

:yum:

I think that’s an anti EU myth.

Using seaweed died out for economic reasons, it’s quite expensive to collect and use, despite the Jersey’s Agriculture and Fisheries Committee trying to promote it

It still used on a very few farms

It might have made a difference to the taste, also they are grown under plastic now

1 Like

It seems that is another “Euromyth”, Tabby.

Jersey Royal potatoes are not as tasty as they used to be, I said.
Lots of readers agree and several said the problem was that the farmers on the island no longer use seaweed as fertiliser.
“Blame the EU,” they said. “They banned it.”
Actually, they didn’t. The story is a European Union myth.
Ian Cleave holidayed in Jersey last year and raised the question of taste.
“Our guide agreed the special taste had been partially lost because they are now grown under plastic.”

1 Like

We always look out for Cornish new potatoes. I agree, @SilverTabby, they really are the tastiest around.

1 Like

I must admit that did pique my interest, I thought it was nonsense because sea weed is such a good fertiliser that even councils use after cleaning the beaches each day in summer.

We are lucky in Australia as we don’t have any of the dreadful potato diseases you have in Europe thanks to our bio security laws.

1 Like

@Percy_Vere - I am willing to be proved wrong, PV, will do some more research. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Whatever the truth - they just do not taste the same.