COP26: From Cornwall to Glasgow by horse and cart

Michael Ransley and his partner Dr Phoebe Beedell set off from Cornwall for COP26 in the spring of 2019 in a horse and cart.

Along the way to the UN climate conference they travelled on country roads to avoid disrupting traffic.

By the time their horse Tarateeno the Marvellous reached his final destination on Saturday he had averaged 1,500 miles a year.

The 15-year-old cob celebrated by grazing on Glasgow Green.

Over the next fortnight the activists aim to raise awareness of the climate crisis throughout the host city.

• what a lovely story!
2 Likes

Yes indeed so. I wonder how many sets of shoes TM wore through?

1 Like

Hmm I wondoer. And what about the wheels? How do you fix that if one goes a bit awry? :thinking:

1 Like

All those wooden spoked wheels are bound with steel tyres, so tend to be long lived. It’s a very interesting process when a new tyre is burnt on.

Why is an iron rim heated before fixing a cart wheel? - Quora

I wonder how much methane that horse produced on its journey?

2 Likes

Not much, surprisingly!

https://amazinghorsefacts.com/do-horses-produce-methane/
The quick answer is that horses produce far less methane than many other grazers such as sheep, and they are considered reasonably eco-friendly grazers. They are not particularly damaging to the planet, which is great news for any horse-lover.

Likely less than the average man after a pie and a pint, i would have thought :joy:

Especially a steak and onion pie washed down with a couple of pints of Guinness. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just the one horse power I expect :wink::point_right::grin:

Ugh…belchfest!!!

1 Like

It’s not belches you have to worry about. :laughing:

What a lovely way to travel. I’d have two horses though, with a partner, one pulling the cart & another to ride beside it.

1 Like