Cooking for the Coronation

I love to cook, the outcomes are sometime dubious!

And something I like to do is when there is a public event, like a royal wedding or the G7 summit in Cornwall, is to copy the recipes, maybe invent cheaper, budget versions

I’ve made tray bake versions of all the royal wedding cakes and the a cheats Jubilee trifle

So I was looking forward to seeing the recipes for the Coronation and having a bash

What a let down!

There’s Ken Homs rack of lamb, which is probably tasty but I always think lamb rack is expensive and too much bone, and you’re not exactly going to knock it up for a street party, are you?

Then there’s Nadiya Hussain’s Coronation Aubergine, a vegetarian nod to Coronation chicken but I don’t fancy it much

The only one I’ll make is Adam Handlings Strawberry and Ginger trifle ( he cooked for the G7….lovely)

But trifle again, we had that for the Jubilee :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yes, looking at those choices, I see what you mean.

When you think of how the last Coronation gave us the novel dish of Coronation Chicken, which has embedded itself into being a firm favourite ever since, one expects someone to come up with another unique dish that will become a national favourite.

I suppose we have now tried so many different cuisines and fusions of flavours in recent decades, that it becomes more difficult than it was 70 years ago to find a totally new idea.

Although, saying that - I believe Coronation Chicken wasn’t a totally new dish when they first made it, either - I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was a re-hash of an older recipe first made for George V’s Jubilee in the 1930s.
When it comes to easy-to-make recipes that find favour with the majority, perhaps all the best food flavour-pairings have already been discovered!

The Strawberry & Ginger trifle looks nice - but I wouldn’t fancy either of the other two recipes.
I think chicken is probably a safer option to appeal to a wider public - lamb has a distinctive flavour which people either love or hate - some kind of “Coronation Special” vegetarian dish would be good but I know lots of people who say they don’t like aubergine - I hate both of those ingredients.

1 Like

Yes, I presume there will be a Coronation Banquet so hope I might get to see the menu for that

I wont be cooking anything special, I shall watch the Coronation on Tv , and thats about it …
I very much like the Royals , but there was nothing on my road as in Street Parties for the Queen , so I dont see anything happening for King Charles …

Let us see what you rustle up @Maree

1 Like

I shan`t be doing anything for the Coronation,i probably wont even watch it.

2 Likes

Beautiful … bliss …

Seems like Charles himself is a big fan of eggs … and pheasant (erm, maybe not …not too PC) … and risotto.

Eel… smoked and other sundry posh nibbles.

1 Like

Hi

I will not be cooking anything special for the Coronation itself, I have no interest in Charles and Camilla at all.

They and Andrew are, to my mind, the last of an outdated system who think that they a right to rule the roost.

I much prefer the more modern attitude of William and Kate.

2 Likes

Ooh I say!
Feet under the table?
Any chance of a doggie bag :wink:

Hi

Feet under the table?

Definitely not.

I have not had a Royal Doggie bag since April 1989.

It was a good one however.

3 Likes

Intriguing …I shan’t be nosey :slightly_smiling_face:

Ooh, you lucky thing, do tell, what was in it?

I’m a Republican, not a Royalist but I do love recreating a good spread

If you can remember what was in it, maybe I can make it again!

I did copy Heston Blumenthals picnic for the Jubilee in 2012, it was yummy!

Hi

Be as nosy as you want.

It really is very simple.

The Tricentenary of the Royal Welch at Powys Castle, 21st April 1989, not long after the IRA Bombs at Tern Hill Barracks.

Not a million miles away, I was part of the planning for the Castle and immediately behind the Queen and others at the top table, only a canvas screen away.

Powys Castle was my problem, I lived In Shrewsbury, so got caught up in both.

Vlad should be able to confirm the dates, I know he thinks I am a WALT.

Powys was on a private water supply, identified as a risk, so my problem.

The Doggie Bag, well that was the Colonel.

What would happen if a squaddie pissed in the wine?

Don’t worry, it will all go for Organoleptic testing.

Which, in a nutshell, meant that it was all taken away for testing.

It tasted good.

1 Like

Well, it’s not getting any better, is it?

CORONATION QUICHE!

Really? :scream:

A dead simple quiche with spinach, broad beans in it?

Exactly the type of quiche real men don’t eat !:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Charles you’re just asking for it, my little green man quiche eater :smiley:

Coronation cake

1 Like