Constipation & Micralax!

Has anybody, here, used a Micralax mini-enema, to combat constipation? I won’t take anything new by mouth, because I am neurotic about taking new anything.

The Micralax, self-administered enema, is sometimes reported as able to do the job within 15 minutes, and that seems like garbage, to me. I’ve used a few before and they never did anything within 3 hours of taking them. The first one I ever used took around 4 hours.

Constipation started yesterday and I did a Micralax mini-enema at midnight (at end of Tue, UK), then tried after only 1 hour, thinking it might work and feeling like I had something wanting out - all I pooped was (I’m pretty sure, here) the enema fluid itself (having not done a proper job, at all, probably because I gave it too little time) and one tiny blob of thingy. That was it. So much for the 15 minutes myth! I think I tried far too soon and that’s why it didn’t work.

Has anybody else (who has used Micralax) noticed that it takes a good few hours for Micralax to work? I just like to be sure. I’ll be leaving the next one in for around 3-4 hours before I try to the biz, again.

One problem is: the enema is supposed to not only soften the stool for easier passing, but it’s also supposed to cause a mild burning on that part of the lining of the rectum, just inside the upper anal sphincter. The body senses that burn, sends lots of liquid down the intestines, to remove the problem, and the stool should ride out on that. If I go from a failed try straight to administering the enema, the stool still so close to the exit will prevent the enema liquid from touching the lining of the rectum, simply by being in the way.

I’m not asking for medical advice…just for other people’s experiences with the Micralax mini-enema.

This is annoying! :frowning_face:

Fascinating :wink:

I’ve never tried it as I’ve never needed to. Plenty of fibre in my diet coupled with adequate liquid intake, ensures my regularity :+1:
I suggest you have a good discussion with your GP about your problem as an underlying cause could be lurking.

I am pleased to announce that, as of yesterday, I managed to pass 5 tree trunks and that all systems are now “Go”, for normal life, again. There’s only one thing worse than having the bottom drop out of your world, and that’s…!

1 Like

Perhaps you should have less wood in your diet Ian :grinning:

2 Likes

I hope you remembered to note that event in your log book😁

3 Likes

I’ve not yet passed my log book, but I live in hope!

1 Like

For those occasions when nothing is moving it is hard to go past Senokot, and they seem to be available all over the world.

Let’s face it an enema is just sticking something up the other end of the pipe from your mouth.