Conservatives: Who funds them, and what's in it for them?

Are there any unions any more?Where does Labour get their money from now?

Why not start a thread about it … :question:

I’ll give it due consideration.

Why do we need another thread on what is substantially the same question?

2 Likes

There are many party members, like myself, that donate small amounts to their party and who do it in the belief that their chosen party philosophy will create a better country to live in, rather than would other political parties. The majority of those donations from party members including their membership subscriptions are very small and do nothing other than support the structure of the organisation.

It is a fact though, that many of the bigger donations, although some no doubt being purely altruistic, are seeking some sort of influence and this is true regardless of which party we are talking about. Donations from rich people and organisations donating to the Tories in the hope of perhaps securing a contract or influence are no different to rich people funding Labour and wanting some sort of influence, or the unions funding Labour then wanting to dictate party policy, all pots and kettles really and not just a single party problem by any means.

1 Like

I’ll hold my hand up to tossing a few coins into the Tory coffers …anything to keep that Corbyn away from completely copulating our group of nations.

My theory is that the basic reason that people enter any Committee, from Political right through to School Parent’s associations, is in order that they can influence that committee towards their own wishes.

Imagine the influence you might have if you were a Parent member of a Public School Committee?

(What’s in it for them?)

But, without that urge to be part of the control, what would we have?

If you don’t queue for petrol, you might need to walk.

If you don’t join the School governors, or various other control groups, in life, you’ll have no say!

Your experience of PTAs is obviously completely different to mine. When I chaired a PTA for around 8yrs, our main aim as to improve school situations for the pupils and teachers. Personal wishes had very little to do with anything unless the school as a whole benefited.

And now we have Johnson, talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.

I’d rather lightly sauté in a skillet than be burned furiously at the stake by the likes of Corbyn and his far far left band of wannbe’s. The politics of envy, which is what most of Corbynistas seem to be promoting, simply doesn’t wash with me.

I certainly did not want Corbyn running the country and the oh so weak Starmer would be a nightmare but the current government ha proved how far down British politics and politicians have fallen.
Can there be a more useless and corrupt government?
I supported Brexit but how poorly planned for has it turned out to be.
As for the pandemic can it have been any more poorly managed?

For me, the rot well and truly set into Westminster almost as soon as Blair took the chair with Mandelson always in his ear. Since then there has been a steep downward cruve that hopefully must be at rock bottom Yes, I too was a keen brexiteer and was probably one of those who forced that wimp Cameron to offer a referendum, as I deserted my usual choice for my X and placed it squarely with UKIP for a once only move. I agree with you about Starmer, or as my wife refers to him, Max Headroom. I was somewhat impressed by Emily Thornbury when she stood in for a PMQ’s some time back, but since then she has been lower in profile. As for the pandemic, I have given BJ the benefit of the doubt too many times and now I would like to see him replaced, but who could fill the vacancy and be any better? I really cannot answer my own question🤷‍♂️

1 Like

This is quite interesting, surprising too as I was under the impression many corporations donated to both major parties. But perhaps those come under a different type of donation, not the GE campaign specifically.

source

1 Like

More info:

The findings come ahead of the party’s annual conference, which starts on Sunday, where a host of oil and energy firms have paid for slots to advertise their businesses.

Greenpeace today accused Johnson of being “worryingly cosy with the fossil fuel sector”, despite the prime minister’s claim that “it’s right to be green”.

Companies vying for delegates’ attention at the Tory conference include oil giant BP, which has been accused of spending millions of pounds to lobby against climate change policies around the world.

Energy firms EDF (French) and E-ON (German) will also have a stand in the conference exhibition hall, along with petrochemical company INEOS (British).

Under Johnson’s leadership, the Conservative Party has received a series of huge donations from the energy sector, totalling more than a million pounds since the 2019 general election.

It includes £25,000 from Amjad Bseisu, the chief executive of North Sea oil firm EnQuest. And Alasdair Locke, who chairs a company that decommissions oil wells, has also given £180,000 to the party.

Donations have also come directly from businesses, including a £200,000 payment from Balmoral Group Holdings, a conglomerate that offers oil and gas technology and services.

Aquind, an underground electric cable company, has given £102,000 since the last election.

.Its boss, Ukrainian-born Alexander Temerko, has also given a further £12,000 in recent months, and has been a long-standing member of the elite ‘Leader’s Group’ of Tory donors. He and Boris Johnson are reportedly close, with Johnson encouraging him to call him ‘Alex’, the prime minister’s legal first name.

Something for nothing … :question:

Unlikely … :roll_eyes:

Might I politely request that such requests are placed across all threads which equally risk or which are are veering off-topic rather than just in selected ones where such a request might be interepreted as being the result of vested interest?
:innocent:

1 Like

Of course you may - please use the appropriate channel … :+1:

There might be one or two, in the Elec & Gas Industries, who are not eager to return to Nationalisation.

And in the public domain!

I’ll hold my hand up too, to being a member of the local Conservative Club when we lived in Hertford (but only because it had a fairly decent kitchen and bar).

I joined the local YCs at 18, but mainly as the meeting rooms were above the best ale house in the district.