Conservatives' obesity strategy makes no sense, ex-adviser says

Of course it doesn’t …because all of their mates run the obesity causing ‘food’ companies! :021:

People should take responsibility for their actions.Most know that junk food is bad for their health.

3 Likes

I’m not too keen on Government intervention in these areas of our lives

Guidance on what’s healthy and tighter rules on clear labelling maybe, so we can make informed choices

But like most people, I don’t like being told what to do!

4 Likes

Correct. We all know that cakes, biscuits, crisps, alcohol, sugar, junk food etc are bad and fruit, veg, lean meats, fish are good for you.

It is having the willpower to stick to your new regime and the self control.
That is the bottom line.

I have a friend who has been overweight since a teenager. She has tried every diet, every slimming group, every pill and potion and while she loses a pound or two here and there she always puts it back on. She has had hypnotherapy, acupuncture, counselling and finally a gastric bypass which reduced her stomach to the size of an egg.

She lost 4 stones but has gradually put most of it back on because she still eats too much and her stomach has stretched. She now tells me she is going to see about getting the new weight loss injections even though she knows she could get bad side effects including stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhoea and you can’t be on them indefinitely.

2 Likes

The problem is junk food is cheaper than fruits, nuts, berries etc. As we discussed in another thread I reckon there should be a 30% limit on the profit of fresh fruit and veg and meat…

The problem is cost and availability of fruit and veggies depends a lot on the weather.

2 Likes

The problem isn’t just a poor diet , lack of exercise is also a major issue in obesity ….
The Health Survey for England 2021 estimates that 25.9% of adults in England are obese and a further 37.9% are overweight but not obese. Obesity is usually defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above. BMI between 25 and 30 is classified as ‘overweight’.

That’s 63.8% of U.K. adults are obese or overweight !
That’s shocking.
Obviously being responsible for your own well-being isn’t working

2 Likes

Labels tend not to stick to Kebabs purchased from the local Chippy.

1 Like

The Government should promote more exercise than more labels.

1 Like

The government could do it at a stroke - ban cars with even numbered plates Monday, Wednesday and Friday, ban odd numbered plates Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and ban all cars from the roads on Sunday.

That’ll do it…

1 Like

That is forcing, not promoting.

1 Like

Most of the supermarkets do very good quality fruit and veg at great prices. Like 49p for a big bag of carrots and £1 for 6 apples last week. I am on my way to do a weekly shop now but will report back.

1 Like

I don’t think the cost of healthy food is entirely the problem. To a lot of people a Mcdonalds Burger tastes a lot nicer than a handful of nuts and berries, and is a helluva lot more filling.
And, we are not as active as we used to be. Exercise happened every day, walking or cycling to work, doing a physical job for at least eight hours, and even hobbies (if you had time for one) were more active than sitting on your bum binge watching TV, computer games, social media etc…Even a walk to the pub provided more exercise than these.
Then there is the motor car…
Nought to 32 million in less than 100 years. (and that’s just cars)
The government in their wisdom decided to centralise schools and its too far for most pupils to walk, so they are taken by car or bus in most cases. Not a very good start in life, being driven to places, it sets an example for the future.
And…Physical education is considered well down the list of things that should be taught in schools.
As for the rest of us…If you want to keep fit, lose weight, or love a sporting hobby, you have to go out of your way to join a gym or belong to a club. Far more costly than eating sensibly.
So our shape has been moulded around the society we now live in, and there is not just one thing, like diet, that needs to change to make us more healthy and slim…

2 Likes

I’m largely with you Foxy. A bit retrospective perhaps :wink:

2 Likes

I pretty much agree apart from Macdonalds filling you up. They don’t! Their bread buns are more air than anything.Not at all like having a good burger and a proper bread roll.

2 Likes

Just have two Rose, that should do it…
:sunglasses:
I’ve never heard anyone say…“I’m so hungry I can’t wait to get home and have a plateful of nuts and berries”
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Yep Foxy, the devil is not in the detail, eat and drink what you like, then walk fast for four hours, negate the damage.

1 Like