Conservative Party PM Rishi Sunak could limit the number of 20mph zones in England to target driver vote in 2024

An announcement is expected at the Conservative Party conference which gets under way at the weekend.

The Tories have started setting out their policy programme ahead of next year’s general election. But the supposedly car-friendly policies have angered cycling and walking campaigners.

A joint statement by the chief executives of Bikeability Trust, British Cycling, Cycling UK, Living Streets, Ramblers and Sustrans said: “When ministers could be promoting public transport, cycling and walking as cheap sustainable options in a cost-of-living and climate crisis, they’re entrenching congestion and reliance on driving for short local journeys. This is a plan that looks no further than one way of travelling and will make the roads worse for those occasions when people do need to drive.”

The expected government announcement, first reported by the Guardian newspaper, could also include proposals to limit the ability of councils in England to use number plate recognition cameras to fine motorists for traffic violations. Other reported plans include restricting the number of hours a day that car traffic is banned from bus lanes.

After the Conservatives managed to hold on to the seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip in July’s by-election, Mr Sunak has sought to present himself as on the side of drivers. The result was widely attributed to public anger over the expansion of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) charge on the most polluting vehicles to outer London, which the Tories made central to their campaign.

Last week the prime minister announced he was delaying a ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 to 2035. Mr Sunak has also ordered a review of low-traffic neighbourhoods (LTNs) in England. LTNs aim to reduce traffic and encourage people to walk or cycle more, in part by preventing drivers using quieter residential roads.

Rishi sucks up to the motoring masses … :roll_eyes:

I can’t keep up with all the populist rhetoric that Sunak and his Cabinet have started pumping out day after day - he’s even been scraping the bottom of the barrel by promising not to do things which were never on the cards to happen, anyway!

I’ve noticed a marked uptick in this type of vote-chasing, favour-currying rhetoric since the by-elections - Desperate measures for desperate times!

2 Likes

Hi

The last Party Conference Round before the General Election.

They will have been in power for 14 years and have made and broken promises all that time.

If they get in next year, more fool us.

Unfortunately the others do not inspire me with confidence.

2 Likes

He’s done nothing to help the motorist high prices at the pumps, ved increases and huge increases in insurance, a pathetic attempt to woo drivers with the promise not to allow the blanket 20mph limits in urban areas, not that anyone will keep to those limits as there’s not enough police to enforce them…

I like some of things Sunak is doing, although I know they are all vote chasing things, and will probably change for the worse if the tories get in again. But, I would not vote tory even if they supplied free diesel for twelve months…Well…Maybe free diesel…
:nerd_face: