Conservative Party Leadership Contest 2022

Yes, so how do those who wanted rid of BJ,"be careful for what you wish for " (comes to mind) vote ?, they cant back him thus not backing themselves, or they back him thus showing what utter hypocrites they are, Starmer if he really has designs on being PM needs to hammer down on this.

Then it really would be "be careful what you wish for
 " :rofl:

With the tories in such disarray imo they’ll never have a better chance, or at least Starmer won’t.

It comes after the party increased the number of nominations required to make it onto the first-round ballot in order to speed up the selection process.

The field will be whittled down to two finalists before the end of next week in successive rounds of voting by Tory MPs.

A winner will be picked in a postal ballot of around 160,000 Conservative Party members over summer. Party bosses have said they plan to announce the result on 5 September.

Other candidates could still enter the race if they secure more than 20 nominations by 18:00 BST, with Home Secretary Priti Patel among those believed to be weighing up a run.

Imagine Priri “Incompetent” Patel as PM 
 :107:

What is really wanted is a successful Guy Fawkes

2 Likes

Latest:

• Deputy PM Dominic Raab and Transport Secretary Grant Shapps have endorsed former chancellor Rishi Sunak (1), who is launching his campaign now
  • Johnson loyalists Jacob Rees-Mogg and Nadine Dorries have backed Liz Truss

At his launch, Rishi Sunak begins by saying Boris Johnson is one of the “most remarkable” people he has ever met - adding he has a “good heart”.

As Jim would say, “good heart” my a**e 
 :rofl:

1 Like

Oh my goodness, Penny Mordaunt’s flag lovers video is dire, though.
:rofl:

All that patronising mansplaining and faux patriotism, I honestly thought it was a spoof when I first saw it.

And she had a flaming cheek to include paralympian Jonnie Peacock in it without asking, no wonder he asked to be removed.

I wonder if the others in it gave permission?

She likes a good catch phrase though

“It needs to become a little less about the leader and a lot more about the ship”

And advice on choosing a leader

“not because you agree with everything you say, choose them because you trust their motives".

That last one is interesting, I would never trust any Tory’s motives

and that just doesn’t make sense 
 :017:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You’re right! Should it be

“It needs to become a little less about the Captain and a lot more about the ship” ?

or

“It needs to become a little less about the leader and a lot more about the country”?

2 Likes

Exactly 
 :+1:

If I were voting for the next leader, the first thing I would do is eliminate all those with a campaign slogan. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The actual words in the video were

“not because you agree with everything they say, choose them because you trust their motives".

1 Like

You mean you’re not Ready for Rishi? :rofl:

2 Likes

Someone at the express also misheard, then:

The video then goes on to encourage the public to choose their leader “not because you agree with everything you say, choose them because you trust their motives”.

:017:

Ooops, sorry, my bad :disappointed:

Even if corrected, the statement is meaningless.

“not because you agree with everything they say, choose them because you trust their motives"

How will I know what their (base) motives are?

Motives may be disguised or well-hidden 
 :047:

D’you think he practices that in the mirror? Complete with the strong arm gesture :muscle:

Yes, Cally Brooks, who wrote that article obviously didn’t listen carefully enough - or maybe she made a typo when writing it up - or I need my lugs cleaned out! - because I definitely heard “they” in that video.

Tut, tut! I’ve been saying for years that the standards of journalism have been slipping - they should at least try to quote other folk’s words accurately - although I’d let her/him off for a simply personal pronoun error - I can think of some journalists who have made much bigger errors than that when reporting “quotes” - at least one I can think of has been known to make up quotes and attribute them to others to make a good story! :wink:

1 Like

That’ll be BJ 
 :wink:

I have always distrusted Liz Truss and discovering she is being backed by two other MPs I cannot bear does not enhance her standing in my eyes!

I have just seen JRM and ND on TV summarising the main reasons Truss would make a good PM - they boiled down to
JRM said folk should vote for Truss because she’s a real Eurosceptic and she will reduce taxation.
ND said - “and she’s a woman”

Is that it?!