Conservative Party Leadership Contest 2022

Wonder if Rishi I will have a couple of columns put up as part of a new porch if he gets in? If so, would he choose Ionic, Corinthian or Doric? Or are there other styles in common usage?

Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey, herself a supporter of the foreign secretary, revealed the move in a graphic posted on social media on Tuesday morning.

The government whips declaring their support for Ms Truss are Sir David Evennett, Stuart Anderson, Adam Holloway, Suzanne Webb, Joy Morrissey, Gareth Johnson, Scott Mann, Craig Whittaker, David TC Davies, James Duddridge and Rebecca Harris.

Chief Whip Chris Heaton-Harris is yet to announce who he is backing.

Mr Heaton-Harris said on 8 July: “The whips’ office will stay neutral throughout the Conservative Party leadership contest.”

But this policy has been lifted, with Mr Mann clarifying in a statement on social media that “the government chief whip has removed the requirement to remain publicly neutral as the leadership contest enters the last stages”.

Another U-turn - there is mischief afoot behind Ms Truss 
 :thinking:

2 Likes

This is nearly correct. There should be a foot in close proximity to Ms Truss’ behind.

Liz Truss said she would appoint Rishi Sunak as a cabinet minister if she was to win the Tory leadership.

She told the audience in Perth: “It is important that we unite the Conservative Party.

“We are all Conservatives, we all want to beat Nicola Sturgeon, we all want to beat Keir Starmer and we all want to make sure Conservatives win here in Scotland as well as right across the United Kingdom.

“I would want to appoint a cabinet of all the best talent from right across the Conservative Party including Rishi Sunak if I am successful in this leadership election.”

That’s very generous of her (:roll_eyes:) but I don’t think she means it and I don’t think he’d accept a position in Truss’s cabinet, amongst colleagues who have “stabbed him in the back” 
 :027:

September and she’s gathering her cronies

“Rishi
you must have misunderstood me
I didn’t mean right now”

The former levelling up secretary told the Times he did not think rival Liz Truss’s “prospectus was the right answer”, and added he did not expect to return to frontbench politics.

It comes as Mr Sunak unveils plans he said would help British motorists. The former chancellor said he would ban new smart motorways, clamp down on rogue parking fines and review some of the neighbourhoods that have been designated as “low traffic areas” in recent years. He indicated that he planned to be a prime minister who would tackle what he called a “war on motorists”. He pledged to introduce a transition to electric vehicles without punishing drivers, while also delivering a “rural rollout action plan” to ensure countryside communities were not left behind.

Mr Gove has now launched a defence of Mr Sunak, saying the tax hikes he brought in as chancellor were “a consequence of Covid, not Rishi’s inner preferences”. He wrote in the Times: “I know what the job requires. And Rishi has it.”

Liz Truss received criticism from Mr Gove over her plans to cut tax. He suggested Ms Truss would put “the stock options of FTSE 100 executives” before the nation’s poorest people and attacked her plan to immediately reverse the national insurance hike. He wrote: “And here I am deeply concerned that the framing of the leadership debate by many has been a holiday from reality. The answer to the cost-of-living crisis cannot be simply to reject further ‘handouts’ and cut tax.”

The Sunak campaign welcomed his backing, with a spokeswoman saying: “Delighted to have the support of a party and Cabinet veteran who has intellectual heft and shown the radical reforming zeal in every job he has had, that we now so desperately need.”

I’m no fan of Gove but I welcome his realistic approach to Truss - he puts the fawners to shame.

1 Like

Hi

I agree totally.:+1:

1 Like

Some points:

We should be clear that on 5 September political history will be made. What makes the contest special is that, if the polling and betting are correct, the members of a political party are about to select a prime minister, Liz Truss, for whom neither Tory MPs nor the country itself has voted. Truss will be the third prime minister to be chosen by the Tories in mid-parliament since party members got the final say in leadership contests. But she will be the first to win through party members overturning the MPs’ choice from the earlier rounds.

Until the 21st century, when a prime minister resigned during a parliament, their successor was chosen either informally or by a ballot among the ruling party’s MPs. However, the leadership electorate has now been broadened (since 1981 for Labour and 1998 for the Tories) to include a role for party members.

Johnson did indeed face a ballot in 2019, becoming the first British prime minister to be chosen by a ruling party’s members; but, crucially, he was also the clear first choice of MPs too in all the earlier parliamentary rounds. This will not be true of Truss. Unlike May in 2016 or Johnson in 2019, she is not the first choice of Tory MPs.

This means Truss is a prime minister of a new kind, since her mandate to lead comes from the extra-parliamentary party membership and not from parliament itself. In a very real sense, Truss will be a prime minister imposed from outside parliament. This has not happened in Britain’s parliamentary system since the unreformed era when monarchs still chose their first ministers, about 200 years ago. It will have political, and arguably also constitutional, implications.

Truss will only be in No 10 because of the mandate from a party membership that, as we should all know by now, is disproportionately old, male, white, southern English and right-wing.

Truss has to manage a parliamentary party that did not want her as leader, to choose ministers willing to serve while disagreeing with her approach, to cope with an increase of articulate former ministers on the backbenches and to deliver a legislative programme without the major backbench revolts that at times have made the modern Tory party almost unmanageable.

Above all, though, Truss has to win a general election within the next two years.

Think on 
 :thinking:

Truss on 145, Sunak on 132. The Foreign Secretary’s lead amongst MPs grows.

So, probably 1/3 of Tory MPs don’t want her as PM - that’s trouble in store 
 :neutral_face:

Hi

The fact remains that less than 1% of voters are choosing a Prime Minister who even Parliament did not want.

Says it all really

1 Like

You could say about a third of MPs don’t want either candidate, though.

I suspect some MPs are checking which way the wind is blowing when they declare their support - it was noticeable how many switched to openly support Truss as it starts to look more likely she will be voted in - I reckon some MPs are going for which side their bread will most likely be buttered!

Sadly, it’s looking almost inevitable that Truss will be their party leader - :disappointed_relieved:

Hi

I don’t mind her being leader of the. Tory party I do mind her being PM

@Omah

Seems to be the modus operandi with the Conservatives, they weren’t happy with Boris, Theresa May Maggie Thatcher David Cameron etc.
Odd thing is that they get elected into government every time.

Hi

A very valid point
Labour are the Tories best hope of winning the next election as well

2 Likes

@Dextrous63 , " portals"
Taj mahal or churchill tank !!

1 Like

Luckily he didn’t place the order for them.

Truss, however, has probably bought a load of whoopee cushions to put on chairs during her cabinet meetings. Might as well emphasise the total farce of the whole situation.

1 Like

@Dextrous63 , should farce read fartz ??

1 Like

I’m not a great one for conspiracies, but one does have to wonder if this complete garbage coming from the likes of Truss is in anyway related to a bj comeback

In a way that could be good, then we could shoot the bugger down in flames at the next election, lets face it if he’s there or who ever replaces him won’t help, not sure Labour would mind but hey oh maybe one of the boat people might be just what we’re looking for.

1 Like