Computer speakers buzzing - help

Computer external speakers … really loud buzzing.

Very nice new desktop PC seems to be incompatible with my, slightly older, desktop Logitech speaker setup.

Something like this:

Works fine when the PC is on but when off or sleeping, the noise starts, enough to wake the neighbours. It can be cured by turning speakers off, but that’s a hassle. I’ve tried everything, googled it all, found something about manufacturers using wrong components in the name of upcoming regulations. I didn’t read it fully/carefully; now I can’t find it again. Does anyone have any suggestions, or, know anything about this?

No idea but here’s a link to try :

Search Results for ‘humming’:

https://www.overclock.net/search/868974/?q=humming&o=relevance

2 Likes

If you do have to get another set of speakers with on/off switch, can I highly recommend these to you
I even have a spare pair. there is the left hand side one in the background (just noticed upside down) connected up. You can even plug earphones into them . Price (£33 0n Amazon)
just found the original order bought on the 23 sept 2013 and still as good as day bought, need a bit of a clean by now.Back then they cost £26. why a spare set? I had 2 computers at the kennels back then.

LINK

if you add to your computer Xonar sound card which I also have vastly increase sound choice and well worth considering. just using earphone( if you have them) setting is brilliant no need for speakers

1 Like

You can sometimes experience buzzing or humming if the audio cables are close to the power cables, but if it’s happening when off I would guess it’s either:

• Poor quality cable/connector to audio
  • Something is not properly earthed
  • Poor quality components

I’d prob post on the Logitech forum to ask if anyone has experienced similar…

1 Like

Ah! an earth loop! Been there, done that. Can be a bugger to solve.

1 Like

The picture I posted above is not the ones I’ve got. It’s these, the Z323

More than 10 years old. I asked the Logitech bot: sorry can’t help.

I’m gonna try something else before giving up and buying new.

1 Like

They don’t make things to last these days, d00d…things have a short shelf life, so you have to buy new or upgrade :frowning_face:

nice while it lasted

I could stoke up a fire in an anarchist’s oil drum.

1 Like

Hi guys

My 3 speaker set-up doesn’t have an earth wire. I don’t know if this is to help prevent buzz (ironically)!

Now I’m just wondering if, with my old PC, the speakers were earthed through the computer even when computer was off. But new PC doesn’t do that (?)

And I’m wondering if I could try earthing the speakers separately. Can’t do any harm can it? … run a separate wire from the speaker earth pin, touch the other end against something metal on the speaker when on and buzzing.

New computer costs £1K, don’t want to bugger anything there.

An earth loop is usually when there is more than one earth (hence the loop) but a single earth is ideal.

1 Like

Have you explored the possibilities with a hammer ?

Just a thought d00d. When you put you computer to sleep you open the input circuit to the speaker amplifier and remove the input load as it switches things off…Amplifiers don’t like the input being disconnected and they will make a loud hum. you will have to unplug them when you shutdown your computer. If they are wifi you will have to switch off the amp to get some peace. There is nothing wrong with the wiring or compatibility in my opinion. You are just leaving an amplifier on with no input. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah thanks. I need to switch off.

1 Like