Community safety

I decided to join a community safety team in our area . Mostly in this built up residential area the speed limit is 30mph . We’ve had a few accidents and last year a child hit by a car . I live on a very busy road with approx 500 cars passing my door each hour at different times of the day . Cars speeding up the road well over the limit .

We had a half days training by the police and each week for an hour or so we monitor different areas . The majority of drivers are good drivers yet we are getting an average of 15 speeding well over the 30mph limit in school and shopping areas and a much lower car count too .

Yes we get abuse but we also get people coming over to thank us for keeping them safe . It’s a whole new world to me too . We are supported by the police who know where we are at each area and what times just to make sure we are OK.

It’s well worth doing if you see any requests to set up a team near you

2 Likes

Sorry but I don’t believe in vigilante groups spying on others , we have a police force for that with the correct equipment. Far better to put in suitable speed humps high enough to force cars to slow down, so why not campain for that instead.
I am sure the police could be put to better use,such as catching criminals/rapists and child sex offenders, than training people for half a day a week that have no authority

2 Likes

I believe in speed bumps too .
Easy and permanent no need for any outside action .

I think it’s a great thing to do Susan and I wish more people would take responsibility for their community. It’s because people don’t care about what goes on in their community and leave it all to the police that we have ended up with speeding drivers, gangs of feral young people and opportunist thieves. Not something you would have seen when I were a lad. Well done.
:+1:

2 Likes

Well done.And brave of you.We all know how angry some motorists can get.

2 Likes

Snitches get stitches.

Well done Susan, I love what you’re doing. I have no time for the ‘not my job’ brigade. We are all part of our community and if we want it to work as a community, then it’s our responsibility to do what we can to help each other.
In my town a few years ago a couple of people decided to stop moaning about the litter everywhere and start doing something about it. They call themselves ‘clean our patch’, and started out by visiting various areas of their immediate vicinity, advertising this on a local FB page and inviting anyone who wanted to join in on that day to come along. The group is run by two people, and they have a huge number of regular volunteers now, covering the whole of the city. They work in conjunction with the city council, who supply them with distinctive coloured plastic sacks, hoops and long arm litter pickers. They do a fantastic job.
They could have said, well it’s not my job, that’s what we pay our council tax for. But they didn’t, because they’re community minded, and everyone benefits.

3 Likes

I think that is slightly different . Litter picking is everyone’s business and lots of villages and towns do it.
If it were only feral joyriders that’s one thing but the pedantic would start reporting their neighbours for one mile over the limit .
Better IMO a sleeping police ie a hump then it’s up to the driver to slow down .
There are also other traffic calming devices to deter speeding .

What matters is that people are aware it’s a 30mph very busy residential area and hopefully bringing that to mind makes it a safer place .

I remember driving through a small village and the residents had made stuffed dummies and dressed them in yellow jackets . The dummies were placed in different parts of the village to remind people to drive at the limit strangely it was very effective .

Why some people think it’s OK to ignore the 30 limit and drive at 44, and even 48 mph in an area with families crossing and kids on bikes is concerning .

2 Likes

Some kids zap through a village at 48mph.on a bike.