Collective Nouns For Birds

590xauto
Patricia Doyle/Getty
The collective nouns for birds are truly delightful, says The Marginalian. A few are rooted in science: “a watch of nightingales” pays homage to the species’ nocturnal waking patterns; “a fall of woodcock” refers to their courtship dance; “a gaggle of geese” turns migratory cries into “delicious” onomatopoeia. Others are more esoteric. “A murder of crows” stems from ancient superstitions about the birds being emissaries of death, and “a parliament of owls” comes from Greek mythology, specifically Athena, the goddess who symbolised democracy and was always accompanied by an owl. Equally enjoyable are those that share their names with more human traits, from the glum (“a deceit of lapwings”, “a pitying of turtledoves”) to the utterly charming (“an ostentation of peacocks”).
The Knowledge

3 Likes

Why are the colorful descriptions only for birds and not for other animals? Or is it?

1 Like

Good question.
Will have to do some research.

1 Like

I used to love learning collective nouns when I was a kid.
Birds do seem to be awarded more flamboyantly descriptive collective nouns than mammals - I like
A murmuration of starlings, a charm of finches and an ascension of larks

Some animals have more descriptive collective names than the generic herd and flock.
e.g. A pride of lions, an ambush of tigers, a cackle of hyenas.

1 Like

I should add another one - especially for Furry -
A Clowder of Cats!
:smiley_cat: :smile_cat: :joy_cat: :heart_eyes_cat: :smirk_cat: :kissing_cat: :scream_cat:

1 Like

:grinning::grinning:.,.,.