Coffee prices jump as UK food inflation hits new high - 12.4%

Food prices rose at a record rate in the year to November, with meat, eggs, dairy and coffee climbing particularly sharply, new data shows. Food inflation hit 12.4%, up from 11.6% in October, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC). The rocketing cost of energy, animal feed and transport were behind the rise, it said.

The BRC’s index showed that overall shop price annual inflation accelerated to 7.4% in November, up from 6.6% in October. This is the fastest rate since the index began in 2005. It added that surging food prices were largely to blame, with fresh food prices up by 14.3%, compared with 13.3% in October.

BRC boss Helen Dickinson said: “Winter looks increasingly bleak as pressures on prices continue unabated. Food prices have continued to soar, especially for meat, eggs and dairy, which have been hit by rocketing energy costs, and rising costs of animal feed and transport. Coffee prices also shot up on last month as high input costs filtered through to price tags,” she added. “Christmas gifting is also set to become more expensive than in previous years, with sports and recreation equipment seeing particularly high increases.”

I am now keeping a record of increases on my food purchases - such increases are always between 10%-20% … :exclamation:

That level of increase smacks of profiteering … :thinking:

2 Likes

Coffee is crap anyway, Tea is our savior. Coffee is for Remainers!!!

1 Like

Oh no it isn’t! :018:

Yes, my shopping is creeping up as well.

Brexit has cost UK households £5.8bn in higher food bills, study finds (msn.com)

(Sorry to mention the B word, I’ll delete if required)

We are spending on average £25 per month extra on food/toiletries etc.
Fat cats pockets getting fatter.

1 Like

Quite … :+1:

First the energy companies make billions out of the world’s crises, now the food companies are joining the exploitation of the masses … :rage:

3 Likes

Christmas dinner will be nearly 22% more expensive this year than in 2021, according to new research for the BBC.

The price of seven key items has risen by £5.36 over a year, with chipolatas - the crucial ingredient in pigs-in-blankets - seeing the steepest jump.

As households grapple with cost of living pressures, many will be looking for cheaper options for the big day. But the data suggests some standard products have gone up at a faster pace than their “premium” equivalents.

Retail research firm Assosia analysed the average price of seven products across Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, Morrisons and Lidl as well as Aldi click-and-collect.

A basic Christmas dinner for five people - comprising a frozen medium-sized turkey, stuffing balls, Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, pork chipolatas, onion gravy and mince pies for dessert - will cost £30.03 compared to £24.67 last year.

It perhaps isn’t so surprising that this year’s festive meal will be more expensive given the cost of living is rising at its fastest pace in 40 years. But the price of every item on our list - except for the divisive Brussels sprout - has increased at more than the rate of inflation, which reached 11.1% in October.

The sharpest price rise on the BBC’s list by far is for chipolatas, up 42.7% to £2.13 for a packet of 12.

Outrageous … :angry:

1 Like

Pfft! Thats them off the menu then :roll_eyes: I’ll be eating beans at this rate!

1 Like

Me too … IAC beans’n’rice:

1 Like