Cobalt prosthetic total hip replacement problems

My one true friend underwent a hip replacement several years ago and for the last year cobalt from the parts has been leaking into his bloodstream.
He experiences chronic pain and it will eventually kill him.

1 Like

That’s terrible can they not remove the replacement hip and give him a new safe one. AND get his blood cleaned up.

1 Like

He has had two hip replacements and does not want to go through the procedure again.

How old is the geezer, just for perspective, hoping he isn’t young, don’t want any lambasting.

He is 77 and has had enough of life.

Ok, the benefits of any further intervention can be counted in days, without sounding harsh.

1 Like

Oh Dear, poor chap but I know the hip operation is not as bad as the knee ones. I have had both mine done then a further one done again after my fall back in January when I broke my leg bone into the bargain. I would be trying to get him to reconsider and go for it.

I worked with cobalt as an engineer, fortunately it was in moulded products by the time it came to me, but some of the lads in the press shop where it was moulded from a powder have since died of toxic poisoning and cancer. Apparently once ingested into the body, it never leaves.
Some lads in the machine shop have developed heart and circulatory problems (including me) but has never been linked to anything we handled…Yet!