Closing Down the Garden for Winter

Hi

Have you started?

I have, a lot to do because of remodelling.

The raised beds are being emptied, one replanted with leeks to over winter, another going under cloches.

The rest having fertiliser on them, topped up with new compost and covered with landscape fabric to keep the weeds down.

Plants to lift and divide, more compost to top up and improve drainage.

Perlite and Fish, Blood and Bone to incorporate.

Loads of pruning to do, I am not the best at this, so getting someone in.

Winter will be painting the woodwork and fences and putting up led lights.

More heavy duty landscape fabric to lay and gravel to go down to make things even more low maintenance.

I am also going to seal the shed and fences and trellis with a silicone sealant.

How about you?

Not started yet swimmy, but the summer flowers in the pots will need removing very soon, then some bulbs put in the pots. I’ll be glad to get to the last grass cut, that’s a chore now. The fence needs painted too…a bit at a time …

im going to move my potted plants into the green house , when i know a frost is likely ,I
lost a lot of fushias when snow and frost got them last winter .,
Ive put 3 bails of bark on bare soil , thats so my dog wont trample mud into the house , getting prepared for the wet winter months ,

I’m still on the look out for a garden designer and landscaper because I haven’t a clue as to what to do with our back garden.

Not yet @swimfeeders but I’m getting ready.
I’ve still got guite a bit of burning to do (from cut trees and older pruning/trimming) as well as the re-organising and pruning to organise yet, and that’s before the improvements and maintenance things.

I might just take the time off and hibernate instead.
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Just on with a mammoth painting task,we changed five panels to our neighbours side and painted them grey, but we had to change the rest of them to grey…from cedar red…something like 23 panels, both sides, three coats on some but it’s nearly done, need a new gate though, not ready just yet for winter, but only a few jobs that it involves…

We don’t have four seasons were I live in OZ so reading a thread as this is, is very rewarding to an ancient mariner of the four seasons - lovely despite and because of all the hard work involved!

Odd was thinking of this today; will do it when on holiday end of September. No proper plan but have started with the windows being cleaned and checking the brickwork; little and often being done as I see them. Painted the fence panels and gates just 3 panels outside to go.

We no longer have seasons, we have weather now.

you mean whether I will or whether I won’t?

1 Like

Me and you both Percy . .

I hate the onset of autumn it’s always makes me sad the end of the year is nigh .
The beans have turned into has beans and everything is going to seed .

1st week in November the gardener cuts back, prunes, weeds and shreds it all for the compost bins, forks over the borders and gives it a light top dressing of garden compost mixed with used mushroom compost. I help by brewing up :innocent:

Storm Arwen blew the grass dry enough for one last cut, this afternoon.

My garden consists of several bonsai on the balcony. I pulled in the ones that needed it 2 months ago and covered the soil against frost on those that remain out year-round. I am keeping an eye on all of them but it’s only the pomegranate that’s growing like mad and needs extra attention. It’ll overrun the flat if I don’t keep it in check.

Thats it for now.

1 Like

We (at the allotment) have been advised to winter our beds by the 5th December. I have mine partially done, so I’ll need to crack on for next week. I wanted to plant some garlic but I suppose I can do that in a container.

1 Like

Never really shut down here completely…
The weather the last couple of Winters has been much Wetter, so although the ground drains fairly quickly as the area is very rocky/stoney.
…Going back in time it was a mountainous area, the name Montalembert gives it away
…anyway it is not Gardening weather, cold and wet does not make us want to go weeding…because the weeds will still be growing for sure.
The Cart is starting to fall apart in places now, shame but weather can be so destructive , although it has had preservative painted on it, it is very
old and anything wooden can’t be expected to go on forever.
…We have lost more trees here with the fierce winds we get occasionally, and only so far planted back one…An Apple Tree. The Olive Tree we purchased to replace a fallen one has a real sickness, sure we will loose that…
I usually do some planning ahead during the off season…

1 Like

Don’t have a lot of closing down to do in my garden. Have mostly shrubs which are hardy. Currently have violas, pansies and wallflowers for colour.
The only overwintering I have to do is for my begonias. :grinning:

1 Like

So I don’t know anything about outside flowers…do they stay out all winter or die off? I would imagine dying off since its cold and everything.

1 Like