Cleaning the London Eye, I don’t get it?

So, there were lots of pictures of the London Eye having a Spring clean last week, and I was admiring the cleaners dangling all the way up there and thinking I wouldn’t want to do it

But then I got to wondering

The Eye is a wheel and goes round, right?

So why didn’t they just wait for each capsule to get to the bottom and clean them when they were at ground level? Instead of having to do all that dangling all the way up there ? :rofl:

2 Likes

Simple they employ people without brains

1 Like

After seeing the press coverage of this high level Spring-cleaning event, two words Spring to mind to explain why they don’t do it when each pod is at ground level

“Free Advertising”

:wink: :joy:

1 Like

The Eye doesn’t stop …

1 Like

But presumably they can stop it for emergencies and cleaning?

Was it going round all the time they were up there cleaning then?

1 Like

I knew someone who fainted whilst at the top of the eye, her friend asked if they would be alright…the operator replied “ yes, she’ll come round in a minute “ ……

2 Likes

I’ve been on the eye twice and it didn’t stop.
Presumably it would stop to let those with a mobility problem on and off

However I found this online …
In order to remove the stubborn layer of dirt, during every night shift two to three pods were first of all sprayed with a gentle, alkaline cleaning agent and then cleaned by hand with scouring pads before finally being sprayed with hot-water high-pressure cleaners with 180 bar and a flow rate of up to 1,200 litres

1 Like

Indeed… you’re quite right:

23 London Eye Facts You Should Really Know — London x London.

The capsules move at the le-e-eisurely pace of 26 centimetres per second. That’s about twice as fast as a tortoise at full speed. You certainly don’t need to worry about whiplash.

In fact, the London Eye moves so slowly that it generally doesn’t need to stop to let people on and off. Of course, it can stop for people with mobility requirements.

From the London Eye’s height of 135 metres (or 443 feet, if you’re wondering how tall the London Eye is in feet), you can see up to 40 kilometres (25 miles) in all directions.

Impressive … :open_mouth:

1 Like

Very impressive,but not for me :scream:

1 Like