Claudia Webbe: MP guilty of threatening and harassing woman

Claudia Webbe, 56, a former Labour MP for Leicester East, who is now independent, was found guilty of one charge of harassment. After the verdict, Webbe said she was “deeply shocked” and would appeal.

The prosecution said Webbe, of Islington, north London, made 16 calls to 59-year-old Michelle Merritt, a friend of her partner Lester Thomas, between September 2018 and April last year. Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard on one occasion she made an “angry” call, used a derogatory term and added: “You should be acid.” In another she threatened to send naked photos and videos of Ms Merritt to her family and made silent calls from a withheld number, the hearing was told.

During cross-examination on Wednesday, Webbe, who was suspended by the Labour party, said she had never met Ms Merritt and “there was no reason for any falling out”. She claimed a recorded phone call on 25 April in which Webbe was heard saying “get out of my relationship” 11 times was taken out of context. Webbe said it had been during a heated argument with Mr Thomas over breaching the Covid-19 lockdown with Ms Merritt.

Webbe claimed she was a victim of “domestic abuse and coercive control” and was being “goaded and gaslighted” during the row, which resulted in police being called after a neighbour reported her screams. She confirmed she was still in a relationship with Mr Thomas and they were engaged.

Paul Hynes QC representing Webbe read out character references from former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and former shadow home secretary Diane Abbott. (1)

However, District Judge Paul Goldspring said he had found Webbe “untruthful” in her evidence.

“Some of the things she said I believe were made up on the spur of the moment,” he said. “Some things she said in the witness box just don’t bear scrutiny. In short, I find Ms Webbe to be vague, incoherent and at times illogical.”

He released Webbe on unconditional bail but warned her that she could face prison when she is sentenced on 4 November.

“Threatening to throw acid at somebody and to send intimate photographs to family members crosses the custody threshold,” he added.

After the verdict, Webbe said: “I am innocent and will appeal this verdict. As I said in court and repeat now, I have never threatened violence nor have I ever harassed anyone.”

The Labour Party called on Webbe to step down after the verdict. A spokesperson added: “The Labour Party strongly condemns Claudia Webbe’s actions and she should now resign.”

https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/intimidation-and-harassment-a-A76076D35165/

Penalties for harassment

In the magistrates’ court in England and Wales

Criminal harassment is a ‘summary only’ offence dealt with by the magistrates’ court and carries a maximum sentence of:

• 6 months’ imprisonment; and/or
  • an unlimited fine.

Upon conviction, a magistrates’ court can make a restraining order, breach of which carries a maximum sentence of 5 years’ imprisonment.

Webbe should be fined, banged up and recalled by her constituents (if she doesn’t resign) …at the very least … :angry:

Was she elected as Labour or as an Independent?
Character reference from Abbot.That would have sealed her fate.

4 Likes

Labour

The MP entered the Commons in December 2019, winning the seat formerly held by Keith Vaz, the married Labour veteran who decided not to stand for re-election after being suspended from parliament for "expressing willingness to buy cocaine for male prostitutes".

Webbe was a political adviser to then-London mayor Ken Livingstone, worked as a councillor in Islington between 2010 and 2018, and was a member of Labour’s ruling National Executive Committee.

I’d meant to make a comment about Abbott and Corbyn in my post (1) and forgot but I agree with you … any references from that pair would have a negative effect on (most) magistrates … :laughing:

1 Like

Haha yeah … Corbyn and Abbott, not the sort of people I’d ask for a character reference.

1 Like

She should resign her seat.

1 Like

Have the allegations of acid attack been proven true.

I don’t Like what this woman stands for, she and others cause more racial tension, she is like Abbott, a black racist

Claudia Webbe threatened her partner’s female friend with acid. No actual attack took place. Nevertheless, threat is harassment so it is part of the guilty finding.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant…Have the alleged threat made by Webbe to throw acid been proven true

Yes:

Judge Paul Goldspring released Webbe on unconditional bail but warned her that she could face prison when she is sentenced on 4 November.

“Threatening to throw acid at somebody and to send intimate photographs to family members crosses the custody threshold,” he added.

So Webbe (probably) faces a fine and several months in prison.

Throw away the key. :laughing:

1 Like

I heard Corbyn asking his Disciple’s to spare a thought for Claudia, for what she must be going through

Sod a thought for the Victim and what she went through.

2 Likes

Labour said it had now started the “exclusion stage” in its disciplinary process.

The BBC understands this is the next stage after her suspension and could mean she is stripped of the party membership she has retained since becoming independent. She has 14 days to appeal.

It’s all coming apart for Webbe.

1 Like

This gives an idea what Claudia is all about, her posts on her twitter account speaks volumes…

PMSL!!

After Claudia Webbe, found guilty of harassment and threatening to acid attack another woman

She now says…… She is/was a Black woman in a White court, I personally finding this disgusting.

1 Like

Playing the Race Card yet again. Does she believe that if there was a black jury that she wouldn’t have been convicted?

It doesn’t say a lot about her opinion of other blacks if she thinks they condone threatening chucking acid over someone and approve of sending revealing pictures of a love rival to her rival’s children.

She’s being sentenced in November - no doubt a slap on the wrist and a “Don’t do it again”. She should be banged up.

2 Likes

Comments like this can only create racial tension… (racism against black’s and white’s that share a community)

I’m sure her comments, with circumstances being considered before passing sentence, she could/should be charged for contempt of court.

But it’ll be a slap on the wrist as you say

I disagree - racial tension is being increased as a consequence of the likes of Dawn Butler, Claudia Webb, Sasha Johnson, and David Lammy saying and doing what they like with impunity. Race relations have been set back at least thirty years as a result of their actions.

1 Like

Sorry thats exactly what I meant…

It’s sad over here the most trod upon race, the one race I feel has the most reason fear violence is the race we took this land from. It’s also the race you less from.

Native women are murdered at 10 times the national rate; 1 out 3 Native women will be raped in her lifetime , and 3 out of 5 physically assaulted. Even worse, 88% of the perpetrators are non-Indian and cannot be prosecuted by tribal governments.

1 Like