Clark's shoes - remember them?

Does the UK not make anything any more? Clark’s were an iconic brand when I was growing up - made in the UK and bought by those who wanted quality footwear! Look where they are made now:-

|Country |Production by %|
|—|—|
|Vietnam |43.9%|
|Cambodia |20.3%|
|India |17.4%|
|China |10.1%|
|Bangladesh |5.4%|
|Indonesia |2.7%|
|Portugal |0.2%|
|Mexico |0.1%|

Apparently there are plans afoot (Ha Ha) to open a new factory in the wilds of SW England - to make ‘Desert Boots’ - deep joy - do we even have a desert??

1 Like

Remember the X-ray machines, before the shoes were fitted!
And the T-strap with the little cut outs

2 Likes

Yes remember those vividly.

Always had Clark’s shoes when I was a kid.

1 Like

ST…we have a Clark’s shoe shop in Hampshire, it’s been there since I was a child…these are my Clark’s boots.

The family lost control last year after the company was bailed out by a Hong Kong based private equity firm. The family are from Somerset and are well known to locals in the area. One of my favourite shoe manufacturers but of course they have been multinational for a while. Clark’s village is on the site of the original factory.

1 Like

There 's a Clarks shoe shop in the nearest big town to us about 15 miles away…but it might not be the original company…

It’s still the same company, they only lost control recently. But likely to change more in future as is the case with all such brand buyouts.

I mean look at what happened to cadbury’s chocolate. Tastes all funny now.

1 Like

I imagine they will eventually go the way of Singer sewing machines, which were bought out by a Hong Kong holding company. I wouldn’t give you a thank you for a Singer these days, yet they were always held in such high esteem. If you bought a Singer sewing machine back in the day, you knew you had quality, and had it for life.

I’ve always bought Zaphod Junior Clarks shoes, for schoolwear at a minumum because they are the only accessible measured brand for children around here.

The company tried re-opening British manufacturing in 2017 but it didn’t last long before shutting again, and Clarks was sold to a Hong Kong-based investment group beginning in 2020 and whose takeover completed in mid-March of this year.
AIUI the intent is to grow the brand in China so what it will mean long-term for the UK side of operations is anybody’s guess.

Interesting but useless information time: Clarks started making shoes in 1825 in Somerset when the brother of a sheepskin rug maker used offcuts to make slippers and the company first faced bankruptcy as long ago as in 1863 before a local community bought the company.

@SilverTabby ST :slightly_smiling_face:Funny you should mention this, I have just been reading in the local paper that the Clarks shoe shop in town is now a Tapas Bar.

I wear Hotter shoes mostly which I understand are manufactured from start to finish in Lancashire and last years because I am not into fashion.

There are still a number of companies mostly small ones making shoes in the UK.

1 Like

One good English men’s shoemaker that I use when I get the opportunity is Loakes, though the nearest dealer is thirty-odd miles away from me.

It is sad to see traditional English manufacturers like Clarks stop making products here but it’s been happening for decades.
My father moved from Coats Patons when they closed up and sold their thread-making machinery to the far east in the late 70’s for example.

Clark’s shoes have just moved into our Sainsbury’s. The first thing I looked at was where they were made considering how expensive they were. Still no idea.

Yes, I used to work for Singer back along & everyone in the company said the best & most lasting straight stitch sewing machine was the 201k. If we took one in part exchange for a customer wanting a posher one, the 201k would be sold almost immediately.
I know where one is too, on the inside widow sill of a pub, Don’t think I could smuggle it out though. :grinning:

1 Like

Oh yes, the coveted 201K. I would love to own one!

I dipped out, wasn’t interested in sewing in those days even though I worked there.
I have used them though in the shop, hand & treadle ones, to show customers they worked, could even service those too. Well, oil them & get them going. They were very simple to do. Couldn’t do that with the more modern ones, left those to our mechanic.

I have 2 pairs of Clarks slip ons in black that I wore to work. They’re almost like Trigger’s famous original road broom (14 new handles, 20 new heads) in that they’ve been resoled and heeled 3 or 4 times in the last 32 years.

Always used Clark’s for the children as they gave a good measuring service.

I wonder how many kids or shop assistants they sterilised or caused cancers in later life before they were banned. I thought they were great.

Bata was another name I recall. The nicest looking pair of shoes I ever owned was a pair of Bata shoes. Were they an eastern European firm?

Still buy my slipper there, the store in Edinburgh gives a great service to us oldies and I prefer the style to M&s.