Clarabelle the Former Dairy Cow Finally Gets to Keep One of Her Babies

Cows have strong maternal instincts, forming close bonds with their babies. It’s no wonder dairy cows cry out in distress for hours, even days, when their calves are torn from their sides within hours of being born.
Clarabelle spent the first several years of her life on an Australian dairy farm, enduring this heartbreaking cycle every 9 months: forcibly impregnated, carrying her baby to term, giving birth, losing her baby so that her milk could be harvested for human consumption, and forcibly impregnated again.
But then Clarabelle’s luck changed …
Instead of being sent to slaughter when she was deemed no longer ‘productive’ enough, a very pregnant Clarabelle was welcomed to Edgar’s Mission Farm Sanctuary.
And despite her growing trust in her human carers at Edgar’s, she had her own plans for this birth…
Clarabelle gave birth to her dear Valentine quietly in a wooded corner of her paddock, and actively hid her new baby — moving her around to a different inconspicuous spot on the property each day, ever watchful of the humans who approached her baby.
It was clear to the team at Edgar’s Mission that Clarabelle, scarred from the trauma of having every one of her previous babies taken from her, was determined to ensure that this time around was different; and indeed it was.
For the first time in her life, Clarabelle has been able to raise her calf with the all the affectionate love you’d expect from a doting mother, and her baby will be by her side for the rest of her life.

8 Likes

Aww, cute! :cow2::cow:

1 Like

Reading that has made me even happier to be vegetarian.
I also eat no dairy products.
Sadly I still eat eggs , that’s another story😟

2 Likes

@Ripple I hope you dont mind me asking , if you dont drink milk where do you get Calcium from for Teeth and Bones ?Sorry I just checked online , Plants and seeds …

1 Like

Many of the plant milks & spreads are fortified with calcium. eggs
Leafy green veg like cabbage and spinach also nuts, and seeds and grains contain calcium

2 Likes

The life of dairy cows is so cruel, this is a lovely story.
I watched the documentary “Cow” which followed the life of a cow on a dairy farm from birth to death when she was shot as no longer productive , having had numerous calves. It was incredibly sad.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we treat a lot of domesticated animals ,particularly livestock,like that though,don’t we.

Yes, coral them, cage them, use them then lose them. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Yes…I see the gorgeous little lambs born in the field behind my house…such cute peaceful creatures …only 8 months of life then on the dinner plate :frowning:

I’m so pleased for Clarabelle.

1 Like