Churches And Gravestones

After rigorously researching the subject, I am led to the inevitable conclusion that we have indeed been visited by alien astronauts who shared some of their advanced knowledge with our predecessors. There is too much convincing evidence to deny it. :102:

1 Like

The gospel according to Erich Von Daniken ?
I’m sticking with memento mori, miserable old sod that I am.

No. :018:

1 Like

That man is a genius.

1 Like

Thanks Harbal, my post has been re-located to ‘Ancient Astronauts’

1 Like

Can I urge you to transfer to the proper thread, which has now been approved, Foxy? The one titled “Ancient Astronauts”. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I suppose it’s the heat…

It can affect some people that way …

I was hopin to see the odd church or gravestone pop up occasionally - but they tell me the grass in them there places is growin so high and unmowed that ya cannee see em anymore?

Churches speak. You just have to know how to listen. This is my local Church.

1 Like

yes Ian you have vaild point there depends though whether you are a good listener and tuned into the bigyun? I did like the way that they silence most of us as we enter and only allow whispering and hearfelt singing - I started my church life as a young reciter and a choir boy and altarboy - I was never molested!

1 Like

It looks older than Norman.Not that I’m an expert.

2 Likes

Several Normans have popped up on the ridiculous names thread.

Norman Arch, Norman Church, and of course, Norman Invasion without which the other two would not exist in the UK.

I like old churches. I have been in a few new ones and they do absolutely nothing for me.

For me, an old stone church has a certain ambience, a certain sound quality whether I’ve been alone or not, and a certain smell.
I like the look of them, the architecture, the height of engineering and technology that was used in their design and construction. With nothing more powerful than a horse, huge stone blocks and massive timbers, and bells weighing several tonnes were moved and lifted and placed.

I like a good flying buttress, me. I like to visit parts of the building such as the belfry or crypt or undercroft. I like the history and the quirks. Did you know that if someone is killed by a bell, and sadly it does occasionally happen, the bell becomes the property of the crown?

3 Likes

I love Old Churches and gravyards and a cemetery,walking around both is so comforting somehow.
A holiday without a nose around one or two is a must.
As for the Clergy etc,they make the right noises but i dont need to listen/be preached to.
I possibly stick to the ten commandments more than they do,but i shall leave it there.
Love all the photo`s folks,thank you.

2 Likes

Norman who ?

1 Like

I’m in exactly the same position, except that I was christened and, later, confirmed.
However, I now know that I never ever really believed in any of the codswallop.
On the other hand, I too like looking round old churches (but not the trendy modern erections!) and especially the organs contained therein.

2 Likes

I’m the same JBR, lost faith when the supposed lord visited cancer upon my mum, bastard.

1 Like

I’ll probably be banned for this (like Harbal!), but under ‘the other thread’, I remember stating that I can well believe the existence of visitors to this planet by beings from another world in the long-distant past. I can’t see how it can be unimaginable.

Anyway, I’ll say no more unless someone starts another thread along those lines.

Shame about Harbal being given the chop, though I agree that what he chose to do was not acceptable. I think membership here is all about remembering the rules and, within which, in fairness we seem to have quite a great freedom of speech.

Such is life when a few words on a screen upset, nothing like going back to the 70’s and having a good scrap.

I always think naked mud wrestling is the best way to resolve things :rofl:

It might be possible for a much cleverer TL3 than me to split the aliens posts off into a new thread and retitle it, I’ll ask