Christmas Turkey

Whe in Tesco a couple of weeks ago spotted a nice large bird in the freezer section . Sue said wait until nearer Christmas time but to my way of thinking if it is there now grab it , after all the choice of size my not be later on. So now we have a nice large turkey waiting to get stuffed and eaten.

2 Likes

What are you going to do with the turkey now that Christmas is cancelled?

I haven’t actually done the maths, but it’s fairly obvious that prices are going up faster than my income (pensions) and the interest on my savings
Plus who knows when there might be shortages, and on what?

So I reckon that if there’s something you want, buy it now!
I always stock up for Christmas & winter, in case there are shortages, or I’m ill, or the weather’s bad, but this time I’ve made extra sure

3 Likes

I did that with a new camera.

Ms d00d doesn’t get it! :102:

1 Like

Yep, there’s nothing wrong with making sensible provision and being prepared, we were in town today and the shops are already starting to get a bit crazy!
We got the chocolate advent calendar… Christmas is defo not cancelled :wink: :evergreen_tree: :chocolate_bar:

Who said Christmas is cancelled?

Not got a turkey as too much I will be in and out this year, so a nice Guinea fowl here (scrumptious) and lots of pick up and eat food. Also, friends’ round for a takeaway Christmas eve, and out for a family breakfast on Boxing Day as well so not a lot of time to eat. Back to work Tuesday. But have been buying things I need when I see them rather than waiting and this week going to see what I have in freezer etc then see what else I want I won’t really need anything…

As usual we will have family here in droves. Lots of turkey for all of them. But I prefer a gammon and that’s I will have.

Personally I wouldn’t say thank you for a turkey, I think goose or/and duck taste far better.

However about 30 years ago I realised what a daft idea it was to work in a hot kitchen in the middle of summer so changed the recipe to snags, chops, steak and prawns cooked outdoors on the barbie.

Never regretted it.

4 Likes

I have not had duck for ages nor goose but oh so nice to eat

I have had a turkey in the freezer since April,Bought it for half price after Easter.

I agree that if it is something that you want and it is available, get it now.

I don’t like turkey so we will be having a beef joint of some description from our local farm shop this Yuletide.

In my opinion duck and goose, as well as lamb, all taste much better than turkey.

1 Like

Absolutely, I love the rich, dark fatty flavour of duck.
Pop the bones and scraps in a slow cooker overnight on low with some light veggie stock and hey presto!

2 Likes

We eat far too much at Christmas anyway .

I actually don’t, less is more if that makes sense?
Quality over quantity. I’m a bit of a traditionalist at heart. Tradition being open to interpretation of course.

1 Like

I am not bothered about turkey, but am generally out-voted. I have very recently bought a fresh Greshingham turkey crown and put it in the freezer. I think I will buy a nice piece of lamb as well which is much more tasty IMO.

2 Likes

No whole Turkey here…usually do a Turkey breast. This is a typical Christmas menu in my home on Christmas Day. Needless to say, it’s an exhausting experience with plenty leftovers.

2 Likes

Do you type out your Christmas menu? Ooh, that’s posh.

1 Like

@Minx That’s posh I normally shout out what there is or at worst people pop into the kitchen to see what’s cooking. LOL How many are you feeding?

4 Likes

If one pre-prints the menu, then there’s no way of hiding the things that didn’t quite work out on the day :wink::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, my Lord never considered that. You have to be confident to prelist a menu, mine would simply say “food” not even “edible food” LOL

3 Likes