Christmas Food

I always have toast and a nice pate for breakfast on Christmas Day. This year I’m trying this Drunken duck one from Tescos.

3 Likes

Thank you Pauline, it’s a short crust pastry but i use self raising flour instead of plain and i add extra fat to make it more softer.

Just made the baked potatoes with chopped bacon and sweetcorn, did 15 of those, 2 each

Plain mash with butter and milk for the boys, they have half each.

2 Likes

I just wash and trim the leeks. Par boil for a few mins so they stay intact. Then I lay them in a dish and add a little salt and pepper and sprinkle grated cheese on top and put them in a hot oven for about 20 mins. If I have any spare cream I bung a bit of that in too.

2 Likes

Ta @RoseRed . Any particular cheese, or just whatever takes your fancy?

1 Like

We like a mature cheddar but you can use anything. I did it once with cream cheese with herbs and chives in it and that was nice too.

2 Likes

It looks delicious!

1 Like

What about Brussel sprouts? I know that some people loathe them, they are pretty grim if they’ve been cooked to mush but I always have a few at Christmas.
You can buy them on the stalk these days, I might have to get a bit experimental.

2 Likes

I gave up on Christmas some years ago after spending a lifetime having a ‘Christmas’ to please others. I finally plucked up the courage to say ‘no more’.
I still make loads of mincemeat and mince pies for the family .

This year I will probably have a very hot home made chilli on Christmas day.

3 Likes

Try Brussels sprouts, bacon and chestnuts, will definitely be following that recipe this Christmas,:christmas_tree:

2 Likes

We always have sprouts with every cooked meal and on Christmas day, i use a pressure cooker for all the veg and they cook fine and taist better.

2 Likes

Indeed they do imo,Logan, 3 mins in my instant pot, absolutely delicious,:christmas_tree:

1 Like

Thank you Pauline… that’s definitely a goer! :+1:

2 Likes

Wow there some cooking talent here on 50s chat .

Me I eat my favourite food and treats over the holiday I don’t care if they aren’t christmassy.
Chocolate , Guacamole , luscious peaches in brandy, a yummy tomato & mozzarella thing , nuts and crisps

2 Likes

Just marzipaned the cake

Then iced it with royal icing, nothing fancy

2 Likes

Noooo!
I hope you are joking - eating a toxic horse chestnut “conker” would put you right off your Christmas dinner!
Stick to Sweet Chestnuts - so much safer - and tastier!

1 Like

That looks amazing,Logan,:+1::+1:

1 Like

I don’t order party food. I prefer to make my own food.

I enjoy cheese and wine, biltong (beef jerky), nuts and olives, cocktail pickled onions, cocktail gherkins etc. And, lots of crisps. But that’s just snacks.

The last big Christmas dinner that I did was the last Christmas my dad spent with all of us. I made all his favourites so the menu was exhaustive to read and to cook :face_with_peeking_eye:. I think I posted the menu on another thread. I’m so glad I cooked since it was my last Christmas with my dad.

1 Like

Thank you Pauline, we start eating it on new years day and it’s so rich we have half a slice each, also it lasts longer.

1 Like

Absolutely NO! All of the food served in my house, as usual, will be bought locally as fresh and cooked to perfection before serving to all invited guests and attending family.

1 Like

I went out today and bought about 80 indian snacks and mini sausage rolls. Just heat in oven as needed.